Tecknetics Pinpointer

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone own a Tecknetics pinpointer? Should I pay twice the money for a whites? If anyone has used one please let me know what you think. Ive been doing alot of asking around and have not talked to anyone with a Teck pinpointer. Alot of folks have the whites and other brands and say they are great. Just wondered how the cheaper one measures up. Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has got to be a good reason nobody is using the Tecknetics pinpointer. I won't use one, I know that. My time is worth something to me.

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the technetics pinpointer and it is now my backup. The cap on the end falls off all the time. You must tape it on. It is not very loud at all. This is an issue when using headphones. I now use a White's bullseye 2. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Tecknetics pinpointer...I've never owned a Bullseye so I don't have anything to compare it to. The main problem I had is with the end cap falling off, I cured that with a couple turns of black tape.

The tecknetics is very stury (one piece) construction, and I've caught myself digging with it. You have to actually be touching metal before it sounds off.

If I had it to over again, I think I'd spend the money and get a Vibraprobe? However, I do like my Technetics, it sure does save some time in the field! Cut my recovery time in half, and it's built to last.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I use the Tecknetics,it"s very tough,easy to use,does what is supposed to do at half the price of the other ones.It is not waterproof and you will have to tape the cap on.

A

absalon

I currently use the Vibraprobe and this thing is a tank! I looked at buying the Tecknetics, but the fact that it's not waterproof changed my mind. The Vibraprobe is waterproof to 30'. I can poke around in the mud, the water, the sand, whatever and I will probably not be able to tear it up.

I've seen the Tecknetics availble for $55 and the Vibraprobe can be bought for around $100. I wouldn't spend the money on the Tecknetics.

Just my 2 pull tabs worth.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the automax and like the long probe but it is also its weakest link. I broke two off in regular use. The last one I got I put a fairly heavy bead of a two part epoxy (J B Weld) around the shaft effectively glueing it to the control box. Still working after a year of hard use and no sign of breakage. Monty

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of depth do you get with the Automax? Also, does it have any way of indicating when you are getting closer to the target?

I get about 1/2" with the teknetics but on small items and certain metal types (small wire, small foil) it is not all that responsive and you have to be right on top of the target.

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
I have the Teknetics. It's the only one I've ever used, so I can't compare it to anything else. I like it (except for the battery cap which like falling off) and would buy it again.

galaxy51

Sep 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE and XS, White's MXT and Classic ID
I have the Automax V4 and when adjusting to maximum usable sensitivity I can get a signal 3/16" from the penny on edge and up to 5/8" flat. My White's (black model) 120 mm gets a signal 9/16" from the penny on edge and from 1"-1 1/4" with the penny flat. The Whites has an internal pot to adjust it for sensitivity and the Automax has an external adjustment. The Automax and the White's were adjusted for maximum sensitivity without excessive falsing.

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Galaxy. Do you prefer one over the other?

Do either of those unit give any indication of when you are closer to the target, like more vib or louder tone?

galaxy51

Sep 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE and XS, White's MXT and Classic ID
Actually I prefer the White's. It is much easier to pack around. This is not due to weight but rather because the Automax is so large. It is 18 inches long. (9 1/2 total length for the White's) The Automax does have a longer probe. (8 1/2 vs. 4 3/4) Also the Automax can be set to vibrate and this older model of Bullseye cannot. The Bullseye II has the vibrating feature, but I don't know if it can be adjusted to respond at the same distance as the earlier models. Maybe someone will volunteer that info for us.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my automax I can get a signal on a large object about an inch away.The smaller the object the closer you have to get. And it will pick up anything metallic including tiny bits of foil, wire and BBs for instance. It is pretty big and bulky, but I have an electrician's pouch I found that it slips right into and stays out of the way. If your automax isn't very sensitive, ther is an adjusting screw under the clip that might nelp. Monty

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
I have to chime in with VibraProbe as well. Sturdy construction and works well. Good price too.

DB

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
The Teknetics probe is well built (except the end cap), strong & tough & does everything its supposed to. It also has a better guarantee than the bullseye 2 & cost half as much. Ive put mine through 6 months of hell & it still works flawlessly. I have owned 2 bullseyes & loved em but didnt like the idea of paying over $100 on a pinpointer that didnt last more than a month or two (the push buttons wore out on both, got 3 months outa two of em) >:(

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Monty said:
I have the automax and like the long probe but it is also its weakest link. I broke two off in regular use. The last one I got I put a fairly heavy bead of a two part epoxy (J B Weld) around the shaft effectively glueing it to the control box. Still working after a year of hard use and no sign of breakage. Monty

i agree with this 100% as i have had the exact same results with two v4s. if you follow the link that was provided to the v4, i wouldnt want to shell out $90 for one. i think thats a bit steep for the quality you get. i would spend the extra couple bucks and get a more sturdy unit.

OP
OP
kindafoundabuckle

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I found a new bullseye on Ebay for cheap. Really love it. I cant believe how much time it does save. It rocks!!! So glad I made the decision to get one. I really enjoy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread