Just wondering what everyone carries while MDing.

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just wondering what everyone carries while MD'ing.

Me personally....I carry an Eddie Bauer bag...in it.....I keep my cell and tablet(if I need to look up anything) camera, lunch keys ipod, headphones, multi tool, cigarettes and water. Hanging On the straps is my pin pointer, digging tool and SOG combat knife ( I don't like stuff hanging off my belt). On me I carry my wallet, pocket knife, and my Sig P220. ( lots of weird people where I go)

Upvote 0

DetectorMike

Apr 4, 2013
Indiana, Martinsville/Columbus
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a book bag in it my lesche digging tool a extra pack of batteries just in case, my hoodie, my cell phone and my iPad, my drinks and snack food, a trowel digging tool, a trash bag for my garbage and a find bag for the finds, a mini mag light, a new Bic lighter, a extra pocket knife. Then I have my Garrett Ace 350 that I got from BigBoyHobbies I also carry a pocket knife.

Last edited:

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
escape come metal detect around Detroit and see if you would like to carry a gun, or at least a knife.....

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Swithblaldes ,guns! Do you plan to stab the Indian head penny you just detected after you shoot it! For my kind of detecting I bring as little as possible.
Escape, the many of the rest of us do not plan to be victims...

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Detroit .... Common sense tells me it is not prudent to put oneself in danger to dig up some nickles!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
On another note carrying a weapon might be the prudent thing to do. I'm not against carrying arms. I was once robbed waiting to use a pay phone. A voice behind me said, "Don't turn around." I turned slowly to see a hand holding a 10" blade to my side as four others circled me. I said, "Well you got me. My money is in my right front pocket, just don't poke me with that." I was com and unafraid. They had the drop on me. If I had a gun they would have taken it. If I resited I would be in a pool of my own blood.

bamahound

Mar 31, 2013
Escape,

Sorry something like that happened to you, but it sounds like you were in town and people around you? I can see where someone could get the drop on you in town and allow you to live to tell about it, but in a play ground, open field, creek bed or wooded lot they have bad intentions and I want more than a dig tool and metal detector between me and them.
I will not go quietly into that good night.
Thanks for your story.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Escape,

Sorry something like that happened to you, but it sounds like you were in town and people around you? I can see where someone could get the drop on you in town and allow you to live to tell about it, but in a play ground, open field, creek bed or wooded lot they have bad intentions and I want more than a dig tool and metal detector between me and them.
I will not go quietly into that good night.
Thanks for your story.
Yup, in a remote location these creeps want more than to rob you. I will let your imagination come to the possibilities...

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Its all fear based. I don't live in fear. Don't spend my time imagining it. Not part of my thinking.

Jack Ryan

Greenie
Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note carrying a weapon might be the prudent thing to do. I'm not against carrying arms. I was once robbed waiting to use a pay phone. A voice behind me said, "Don't turn around." I turned slowly to see a hand holding a 10" blade to my side as four others circled me. I said, "Well you got me. My money is in my right front pocket, just don't poke me with that." I was com and unafraid. They had the drop on me. If I had a gun they would have taken it. If I resited I would be in a pool of my own blood.

I carry my Colt all the time, detecting or not so I guess it's not really something I "carry detecting".

Most people would think it's calm and sleepy out here in the rural counties of Indiana, national forest and state forest cover about as much ground as there is private ground. May be it is. Generally. But last night they slipped up on the security shack up the gypsum mine near here. It was closed, no one working and even if so what could any one possibly want to steal at a gypsum mine? The big wall board heist? Some punk in a ski mask, probably had to wake up the guard, but he robbed the poor lonely unarmed guard there at the gate house. Took his credit and debit cards.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The people who think they aren't looking for trouble so they won't find any are just in line to become the next victim...
I learned the hard way to trust almost no one...ever!
I don't live with my head in the sand.

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
you can't. You have to watch your back at all times. You'll probably live a longer life if you do. Around Detroit anyways. I always have my sidearm with me. (permit of course) It's on me almost as much as my boxers are. lol but seriously. Minus when I'm sleeping,then it's on the night stand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread