Long shot, but told money buried in my yard

H

Holly_squirrel

My question is, if someone was to bury money , about 50 plus years ago.. What sort of container Would they have possibly used?
When we bought our house , 18 years ago, the then owners told us to be on the lookout for $ 17,000 that they were told was possibly buried here.
The original owners who built tbis house owned 300 some acres around here. They sold it off in lots. One elderly neighbor told me how they sold her 3 acres for 4,000. So anyhow , it's quite possible that alot of money was moving through their hands. However I doubt tbe story seriously, because how could one saftey bury money in heavy clay soil... And expect it to be safe...
So anyway, say it was true.. What signal should I be looking for on my ace 250? My whole yard lights up as iron, due to coal and slag... So digging every hit is impossible.

Also, can this detector detect through cinder block? Lol. We got this bump out on tbe basement wall that makes no sense ... No real purpose we can imagine for it... But I'm not willing to rip a foundation wall apart ... Unless I had good reason

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lol... Ahhh so wise... I went out to the garage to browse his tools to try to figure out what could drill a hole through concrete... But bagged the idea. You don't mess with a mans tools.. Plus what could i tell from a one inch diameter hole through a cinder block anyhow
Try this tool to look through the hole if you decide to drill one...
Enlarged Image Demo

[h=1]DEWALT 12-Volt Inspection Camera[/h]Item #: 47656 | Model #: DCT410S1

rating.gif

openRatingsHistogram.gif

6 reviews
| Write a review

$299.00

12-Volt Inspection Camera

• Removable wireless screen for ease of viewing when in tight areas
  • Photo and video capturing on secure digital (SD) card to help with documentation
  • Hook and magnet accessories included to aid in retrieval
  • 3x zoom capability for better visibility
  • 1.5 amp-hour extended run-time battery that provides a longer a run-time and battery life
  • Maximum voltage = 12 volts, nominal voltage = 10.8 volts

Eric Wilson

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here's the deal as I see it. There have always and always will be hoarders, robbers, eccentrics and misers, all of whom are prone to cache money. They did it in the past, they do it now(look at the doomsday people- you think they aren't caching gold and silver?), and they'll continue to do it as long as there are people on this earth- as an example- they just found 7 million in gold pieces- different denominations from all over the world- in cans in some guys house. He had a bunch of cans of tuna fish cached too. Died with only 200 dollars in his bank account. Nobody thought he had anything. Anyway, point is they exists. The real question is not so much if the cache was made but is there any reason to believe that they failed to recover it. People go back and recover most money they cache. First question to ask is there something that would have prevented the owner's from recovering it. Did they die suddenly, were they overcome by dementia or senility, were they displaced without warning and unable to return as in hurricane Katrina. If there is no reason that they didn't recover the cache, then they did. I have no doubt that your neighbors were right about the people being the hoarder/eccentric/miser type- it's not hard to tell. Now if there is a reason not to have recovered it then you might have a hoard. Now 17k is a lot of dough- takes up space even in paper. So might have been split up into sub-groups, mini-caches if you will. If you're hiding paper- probably indoors. I used to live in a house where the previous owners father hid 9,000 $ in paper money behind a brick he'd loosened in the fireplace. He got real sick, thought he was dying and showed the son his hidey hole. Then he got well and retrieved and son thinks it's still hidden- I think he spent it before he died. Anyway loose hearth stones , fireplace bricks, etc have always been classic hidey holes. I knew a guy who cut a hole in the wood floor in the corner of one of his closets and made a hidey hole then touched wood back up and you would never notice unless you really looked. The problem with finding hidden paper is there are plenty of containers, wooden box, leather or canvas bag which can secrete the cash without registering on detector-plenty of metal ones too though. Also don't discount that they could have buried in coins. Lots of people who hide money- don't trust paper money. Wouldn't be the first time someone buried that much coinage. If that were the case, almost certainly in separate mini-caches and probably within eyesight of house, especially as someone mentioned earlier- the bed room window. Can your ace go deep enough? Don't know, you'd probably need to be able to hit 2 to 3 feet deep to be safe. Never used an ace but you're looking for a large target, quart jar size or larger per cache. I think it would get there on something that big, but not sure. If you can hit on it, I imagine that it would overload the heck out of your meter or whatever kind of I'd you have. You should be able to tell it's big. Good luck, it might just be there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

smugglersbluez said:
Maybe the bump is Jimmy Hoffa !

Hmmmm that's a theory .. Probably more likely than 17 grand

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Eric... He died in our house.... So it's plausible... Nobody said he was eccentric however. He owned lots of land and sold it in lots .. That's about all I know about him.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True Story my Dad told me about his Mother:

His Mother and Step Father bought a house, years ago, I don't know when exactly, probably 1950's or 1960's. Somehow they heard that the previous owner had hidden money in the house. They kept looking for it, but no joy. Then, somehow they noticed wire bent over the top of some of the cinder block basement walls. They investigated and found several cans suspended down in the hollows of the cinder blocks with bent up coat hangers. The coat hangers were fastened to the cans and the other end of the coat hanger was bent to form a hook over the top of the cinder the blocks.

The cans were stuffed with cash, packed in tight. When it was all pulled out and counted it was around $10,000. A lot of money back then.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
True Story my Dad told me about his Mother:

His Mother and Step Father bought a house, years ago, I don't know when exactly, probably 1950's or 1960's. Somehow they heard that the previous owner had hidden money in the house. They kept looking for it, but no joy. Then, somehow they noticed wire bent over the top of some of the cinder block basement walls. They investigated and found several cans suspended down in the hollows of the cinder blocks with bent up coat hangers. The coat hangers were fastened to the cans and the other end of the coat hanger was bent to form a hook over the top of the cinder the blocks.

The cans were stuffed with cash, packed in tight. When it was all pulled out and counted it was around $10,000. A lot of money back then.
I need some luck like that!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have been told that my grandmother years ago had a mobile home. At the time she did not trust banks and so she hid gold coins and cash on the frame. A few years go by and she forgot about the coins. She had the mobile home moved and realized she didn't remove them. When she looked the money was gone, either one of the guys moving the home found it or it fell off on I 5 around the Seattle area :sadsmiley:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cinder blocks are hollow, detect and mark where the loud signal is, take a chisel and a hammer and punch a hole there. Be warned, I was a block layer for 13 years, when we finished a soda can, down the blocks center it went. I cant believe that someone would hide money there though with no easy way to retrieve it. The one thing you might check is to see if any of the mortar joints are soft like they are made of caulking and painted over, where it could be removed easier. I would concentrate on the yard myself. Oh ya patch the hole in the block with a little quickcrete.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seen on National Geographic TV reports the way Jessie james paid his gang is he gave them maps to dig up Mason Jars at locations some by a certain tree some by a wall and sometimes in a field. He did this because he did not want physical connection being tied in with robbers & gang members using stolen bank's money to support the Confederate War side. With many supporters he was hid and nobody talked about his whereabouts. I think Mason jars is a good bet since several were detected by the metal lid as some were found with cash notes & coin inside. Good Luck, Go for it!

Last edited:

Eric Wilson

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eric... He died in our house.... So it's plausible... Nobody said he was eccentric however. He owned lots of land and sold it in lots .. That's about all I know about him.
Eccentric might not be exactly the right word, especially as many people of the depression generation didn't believe in banks- for good reason I might add. What I was trying to say is that people are usually good judges when it comes to recognizing someone who caches. Personally I don't find it eccentric to cache which might say a lot about me. Anyway it sounds plausible to me that it exist. I'm the last person to try to discourage anyone quite the opposite. I've been looking for a possible cache based on far less evidence than you have, more of a gut instinct than anything, and I've been looking off and on for over a year. I just try to look at it as an adventure, hopefully one that will help me lose weight. I've been nothing but disappointed so far and the site is nothing if not trashy. I was ready to give up until 6 weeks ago when during a warm spell, I dug up an old mason jar with zinc lid- empty. Had it held the butter and egg money- don't know. But it was enough to keep me hunting and you should too. That Dewalt thing looks cool, I'd try to rent or borrow and check the bump. If it's Jimmy Hoffa- 17 k is chump change- that would be a six figure story easy.ciao.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy to "see" these things through the walls:

If the bump out was a fireplace, there would be a chimney over it. It may be destroyed, but then again since they didn't dismantle the one in the basement, probably not.

Same with an iron plumbing pipe that's been blocked over. You could be hearing the cleanout fitting. It's not "code" to block one over, but folks do it. They're ugly. Look above the wall in the joists - what's coming up? A 3 or 4" drain pipe? Locate the main plumbing stack and any evidence of it having been moved.

That would rule in or out those two things.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe I could get over my fear of snakes and come demo your house with ya( till the husband comes home and then I'm outta there,lol!) There used to be a cool show called House Detectives that investigated stories of houses such as yours and experts would come in a check out the places.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Moonrover said:
It IS possible to carefully drill out the mortar joints around the brick in the middle of the hot spot reading. Then pull out that brick to have a look behind it. Replacing a single brick and patching up the joints is far less effort than tearing out the bump and rebuilding it. Assuming the bump has a structural purpose, it may be wise to not defeat it's purpose. Maybe it is there to correct a crack that was allowing ground water into the basement. Just a thought to consider.

M

Yes my thinking as well..... Hmmmmm I wonder If I could manage to crack out the mortar with a chisel and hammer.... Without causing damage .... But wait.... Are they connected by rebar??

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Moonrover said:
Neat suggestion for husband's birthday (coming up very soon) ... a hammer drill !! Put in a 1/4" concrete drill bit and slowly drill/hammer out the mortar. If rebar is there you will hit it eventually. Metal detector should signal a long target if rebar was used. You mentioned a localized hot spot was detected, not a long object?

Anyway, husband will be forever grateful for new b-day present.

He has one. And every tool ever invented . But I wouldn't dare touch a tool of his I didn't know how to operate.... You don't mess with his tools. He did say, if he gets bored sometime he may take a block out.... It was his idea to use my " worthless junk finder" to check the wall. God forbid though he actually does do it and there is nothing there ... I'd never hear the end of it, he'd never let me live it down.
And as best as I can tell it's roughly a say 8 by 10" ovally shape. Though I been fooled by false signals.. Ones that bling like crazy, you pull the plug.. Then nothing. Then 2 inches from the plug, it happens again.. You end up chasing a phantom signal.
I'm under no illusion, to be honest, I tbink it's just as Likly I would find Jimmy Hoffa back there ... Lol

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes my thinking as well..... Hmmmmm I wonder If I could manage to crack out the mortar with a chisel and hammer.... Without causing damage .... But wait.... Are they connected by rebar??

I would drill it out.

Chance of rebar - not very high.

If you hit water - quit drilling! (sorry, couldn't resist)

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

If I'd hit water I'm moving out of state and changing my name

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's a thought. People that hide money usually want it accessible to them. I do not think that they would hide it in such an unacceptable place. It would have been easier to remove a block and replace it with a soap, that is a 2" thick block . That would have left room behind it for the money. That section , with its footer, is probably built to reinforce a problem in the original wall. You are more likely to find a cache in jars in the yard near some prominent feature. Frank...

111 -120-Poppy.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread