New to Detecting

matrion09

Apr 10, 2013
Wilkes barre, pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to be purchasing a metal detector soon and was wondering if there is a descent one in the price range of $300-$400? I live in Pa, and I guess I would be detecting for coins or other metallic relics in the ground. From my research there seems to be a detector for just about anything, so I guess I am looking for a starter version that is descent for beginners.

Thank You

Upvote 0

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro silver u max is a good starter in that price range also look to the whites brand for their models in that range

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I use the Garrett ace 250. For $212 its pretty decent and with the money you save you can get the Garrett pin pointer. Should bring you to around $350

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this range you are looking at White's Coinmaster Series, Garrett Ace Series, Fisher F2, several Tesoro models (get a Tesoro), are probably the most the most popular beginner machines. If you go into the used market you can find many great machines. Many were put away before the first set of batteries had to be replaced. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/347642-so-little-saddened-detecting.html

Look in the PA subforum. You should find some users in your area who would be willing to take you out for a test drive. That way you can try a machine in the field and see how you like it.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matrion, if money is tight and you can't afford to make a mistake on your first purchase, take the advice of Mzjavert.
Don't be in too much of a hurry to purchase and detect. The stuff in the ground will be waiting for you.
Get a detector with an audio response that you can understand (let alone tolorate for long periods of time).
In addition, take into consideration the supporting tools that you will need, like a good digging trowel/knife, pinpointer, as well as a finds/trash pouch.
Honestly I don't know how someone can tolorate turf hunting without a pinpointer of any kind.

That said, learn to dig a 3 sided plug in your yard, flip it up, retrieve the target, and return the turf with little or no indication you dug a plug.
Sometimes the plug doesn't cooperate, but leaving little trace you've been digging is important. Some people "coin pop" with a screwdriver on the shallow targets.
But if you are going deep, you need to learn the technique. It becomes a point of pride when you can put everything back and not tell exactly where you dug when you go back the next day.
Its easy to do, you just don't want to experiment in public places only to be told you aren't welcome anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread