just a few questions

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OK so I'm running a garrett 250. I keep my sensitivity at about 2 notches below full. I get these crazy readings so I adjust lower.... is that good practice? Also I find I get a signal on something. I go over it again and its gone....or dings one way and not the other. Very frustrating. I don't want to discrim out larger coins to compensate for "hot rocks" but I don't want to keep digging it up. I'm working in my yard. Now my house isn't old (15 years) but....the previous owner raised 3 kids and all the neighborhood kids played over here so there may be change, kids jewelry etc here. Just don't know if I'm doing something wrong with these damn rocks.

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey killer
On most detectors the Hot Rocks sound like a Bong,not a Beep...not a good target....does your machine make them sound like good targets??

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK so I'm running a garrett 250. I keep my sensitivity at about 2 notches below full. I get these crazy readings so I adjust lower.... is that good practice? Also I find I get a signal on something. I go over it again and its gone....or dings one way and not the other.

I've had this problem with both the 250 and At Pro. The rocks read high, the 250's bell tone and in the 90's on the ATP's vdi. KC, lowering your sens probably won't help much. I'd recommend only digging if the signal is repeatable. If its coming up as a dollar or half then jumping to iron, probably a rock. Test this theory out and make note. If it stays high, turn 90 degrees and still consistent...dig.

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I've had this problem with both the 250 and At Pro. The rocks read high, the 250's bell tone and in the 90's on the ATP's vdi. KC, lowering your sens probably won't help much. I'd recommend only digging if the signal is repeatable. If its coming up as a dollar or half then jumping to iron, probably a rock. Test this theory out and make note. If it stays high, turn 90 degrees and still consistent...dig.

Thanks Jay +1

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might also want to try new batteries :laughing7: Sometimes those bad boys are the problem too :tongue3:

I'm not one to be farting around trying different modes and sensitivity settings. I hunt in all metal and just learned the tones best I could. As for the settings, I have mine set at 3 bars and it works fine for me :icon_thumright:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1 thing i never have had a problem with is hot rocks ive hunted acouple places that have them all over the place and my machine never hit on them ...if only the ace didnt like bottle caps id be in heaven

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might also want to try new batteries :laughing7: Sometimes those bad boys are the problem too :tongue3:

I'm not one to be farting around trying different modes and sensitivity settings. I hunt in all metal and just learned the tones best I could. As for the settings, I have mine set at 3 bars and it works fine for me :icon_thumright:

Only three bars? I run mine as hot as I can and as previously stated, I only dig repeatable signals. I find this method produces the best depth and fewer trash targets dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread