New to detecting, looking for opinions!

Digger92

Apr 11, 2013
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Inherited 70s Garrett Fortune Hunter, Bounty Hunter Elite 2200, Fisher F5, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

My twenty first birthday is only about a month away and I am so ready to get my first MODERN metal detector.

I am looking at purchasing a Garrett Ace 350 with some extras as it looks like it can handle many different levels of experience and also has many features I like.

That means I could use it far beyond the beginner stages and would last me a long while before needing an upgrade.

However I wanted some open opinions about this model and other brands and models that COMPETE with it in this price range.

Also does it handle cold weather? As I live in the sometimes chilly Colorado it would be nice to know.

Upvote 0
S

stefen

The 350 will do OK in cold weather, however you may want to try a sweater...and ear muffs, as well...and maybe gloves...

Good luck...

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get a thousand different suggestions. I like White's and the Coinmaster GT is very good.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Silver uMax
Teknetics Delta 4000

Add another $100.00

Minelab X-Terra 305
Fisher F4
Tesoro Cibola

Best of luck!

coinhunters50

Greenie
Feb 11, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, F-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try the At pro, It's only $594 and it will go deep with stable ID on targets. You could also go for the Fisher F4 or F5 They are both great as well! Happy Hunting, Good luck!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Colorado for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Now, trust me - you will get a bunch of recommendations from member's - you have a tough decision ahead of you rhartman911. However, whatever you decide - I would recommend you buying from one of TN's Supporting Vendors.

Anyway, that is my three cents!
killingme.gif

OP
OP
Digger92

Digger92

Apr 11, 2013
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Inherited 70s Garrett Fortune Hunter, Bounty Hunter Elite 2200, Fisher F5, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow thanks for the replies and the welcome.

Sure is looking good for that price range and its making it a harder decision! The 350 sure looks user friendly and has some great reviews online, however the other brands have great deals and are hard to overlook. I guess I have some pondering to do!

Johnny

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks for the replies and the welcome.

Sure is looking good for that price range and its making it a harder decision! The 350 sure looks user friendly and has some great reviews online, however the other brands have great deals and are hard to overlook. I guess I have some pondering to do!

Johnny

If there was a dealor within driving distance you could take a look at them...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main thing that what ever you buy you learn to use it well. All the bells and whistles mean nothing if you do not understand them. Take a guy with a $1000 detector and then a guy that knows how to use his $200 detector and the $200 hunter wins every time.
There also has to be targets worth digging where you hunt. I have hunted many areas and there just was not anything worth digging. Research is key and learn what ever you buy and have fun.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Digger92

Digger92

Apr 11, 2013
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there was a dealor within driving distance you could take a look at them...

This was my initial plan, to drive to a designated dealer. However I'm pretty far in the sticks and it would take quite a trip to find a metal detectors or any hobby store for that matter, and cost me a leg in fuel. The deals I found on Kellycodetectors.com are looking awesome especially with extras though

OP
OP
Digger92

Digger92

Apr 11, 2013
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main thing that what ever you buy you learn to use it well. All the bells and whistles mean nothing if you do not understand them. Take a guy with a $1000 detector and then a guy that knows how to use his $200 detector and the $200 hunter wins every time.
There also has to be targets worth digging where you hunt. I have hunted many areas and there just was not anything worth digging. Research is key and learn what ever you buy and have fun.
HH
TnMtns

Yes I have been reading digital copies of the manuals of the detectors I have researched. I want to know the machine well before taking it to the field and being lost. As for locations, there are many old abandoned towns near me and an old Colorado mining camp right beside my ranch that I intend to try. I've found old belt buckles and clasps on the surface near the camp and really have an itch to see what's in the dirt. Thank you for the reply

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a minute and look up www.bigboyshobbies.net Fella named Bart. Many of our t-net members swear by his deals and service. Notice the end of his email address .net

it is not .com.

If you try it with .com you will get someone else. The word is, if they say it in stock, it is. When they tell you it is shipped, it is. Call him, 405-206-9010. Sometimes the "value packs" from the bigger company you have alrerady found are not quite the bargain you envisioned. What will you dig with? The lightweight trowel that will probably come in a package deal will not last long. Buy a Lesche digger. Lesche makes fantastic shovels too.

Good luck!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck, welcome to the forum. I am most fond of Tesoro and Whites detectors if that helps you any. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for in metal detecting.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your serious I would go with the X-Terra 705 dual coil pack with lesche and pro-pointer. If that double D isn't the right one for you would recommend asking the dealer to swapt hat one out for a different one, double d are very good in iron trashy areas and there must be some reason why the doubled comes standard with the high end whites now:icon_thumright:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First advice. TAKE YOUR TIME on your decision. This is a big step for you. Yes you can ask all of us our opinions and you are going to get the Ford/Chevy response. A White's user will recommend White's, Minelab a Minelab, Tesoro a Tesoro, and so on. All major brands have excellent machines. But you need to ask yourself a few more questions before you narrow your choices down. What type of hunting are you mainly going to be doing? Coins, relics, gold nuggets, etc. What features are you looking for? Display that shows VDI (great for coin hunting), depth meter, etc. Tone ID (gives a high tone for coins/relics and low tone for trash). If you can visit a dealer that has different brands for a hands on would be a great help. As far as cold weather I believe they all will operate the same in weather. I took my machine to Kansas last December and hunted in 12 degrees for a couple hours a time. No problems.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my advice, take it for what you think it's worth.

I started metal detecting with the Ace350.
Like you, I did my research and concluded that the 350 was for me.
I ordered it from KellyCo and then went online to Garrett's website and read the manual and watched all the related videos for the 350. When it arrived I had the book knowledge to take it out for a few hunts and put my newly learned skills to use.
From that first hunt I knew I was hooked. The only problem was that in my constant thirst for knowledge I had discovered that I was limited to certain types of hunting with my Ace. I live by the ocean which I wanted to hunt in. I also have lakes and streams nearby that I wanted to hunt. So a month after buying the Ace I called Bart and ordered The AT-Pro from BigBoysHobbies and got a better price than I have seen elsewhere.
Since then I have never regretted my decision to move up to the AT-Pro. I only regret buying the Ace because I wasted my money and now only use it as a loaner to friends when they want to go hunting with me.

So long story short, here's the lesson I learned.
(Get the right equipment the first time and save yourself a lot of money in the long run! )

Try to figure all the types of environments you will want to hunt in and purchase a detector that will allow you to use it in all those places. For me it was the AT-Pro because it is waterproof, has ground balancing and a VDI screen and it has a regular mode which acts much like an Ace and was easy to learn. It also has a Pro mode which is for when you're ready to use the advanced features......So save your money and get the right detector the first time!
I ordered my first detector, the Ace350 from Kellyco. While their prices are standard and you get extras, the quality of the extras are Dollar Store quality and will only get you by for a very short while. I guess they would be fine if you are not sure you are going to like this hobby and want to try it for a while before deciding to purchase better equipment.

Ultimately you will want a pinpointer. That would be the Garrett Pro Pinpointer.
A decent substitute for the time being would be the CenTec pinpointer found for under $20 at HarbourFreight.com
Cen-Tech - Item#97245

The digging tool of choice is the Lesche Digger.

By the way, to save money I invested in rechargeable AA batteries. Enloop are one of the best and will pay for themselves in no time.
I haven't tested this too much, but I hear rechargeable batteries don't hold their charge long when it is really cold so they might not be an option for you in the winter.

There ya go. That's my advice.
Happy hunting

Last edited:

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO /Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Tesoro Lobo Supertraq only because I bought it back in AZ when I was gold prospecting. Great machine, goes pretty deep, picks up very small nuggets and also works great for coins, jewelry, and relics. It has a cool black sand and Alkali feature and is automatic ground balanced. I am currently also in search of a new detector and have been debating between the ATPRO and the Coinmaster GT. If I could I would buy both lol... I like the GT for its display and back light, and the ATPRO for the waterproof housing up to 10 feet.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out with the Ace 250...good machine to learn on.....but then upgraded to the Minelab Safari...

If I were you I would look at just buying the AT PRO...it is an all around excellent machine..both to the newbie and the experienced

If that is not of interest I would look at what Terry Salmon wrote down....Minelab 305, or the Fisher F4.....Get on youtube and check some of these detectors out and watch them in action.....

IMPO...I think you will get tired of listening to the "dings" of the ACE 350....Good Luck....HH

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with the Ace 250...good machine to learn on.....but then upgraded to the Minelab Safari...

If I were you I would look at just buying the AT PRO...it is an all around excellent machine..both to the newbie and the experienced

If that is not of interest I would look at what Terry Salmon wrote down....Minelab 305, or the Fisher F4.....Get on youtube and check some of these detectors out and watch them in action.....

IMPO...I think you will get tired of listening to the "dings" of the ACE 350....Good Luck....HH

I did the same started with a 250. Good starter but got bored with it annoyed with the bell tone. I also went to thr safari, I wish I woulda just saved and got the higher end one to start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread