Rules on detecting preserved Farm Land?

H

Holly_squirrel

My grandparent's sold alot of their land to a land preserve. Anyone know laws regarding this land? It's meant to remain vacant, unless used for farmland or open space. I wouldn't see where detecting would be an issue . But is tbe land considered privately owned by the preserve now? Do I need to ask permission? And lastly... What's the likely hood that open fields that have been farmed for at least the last hundred years.... Possibly many many more Would give up much? Considering its been plowed every year for 100 plus years?

Upvote 0

DEHew64

Jan 29, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Stinger
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holly are you sure they "sold" it or only placed it into the CRP Conservation Reclamation Program? I would ask them. If they sold it then it is considered private property but if it is in the CRP then they still own it and it cannot be grazed or farmed. It only sits fallow for a period of time.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A tip.... Farm land, even tilled for over a hundred years, will still show any homestead as a SLIGHT rise in the ground. A confirmation would be shards of glazed pieces of dishes... and other debri. Sometimes you have to "back off" to see the rise which will be ever so subtle. TTC

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt farm fields that have been used since 1654,you never know what will show up! Some of my best finds came from farmfields. GodBless Chris

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My grandparent's sold alot of their land to a land preserve. Anyone know laws regarding this land? It's meant to remain vacant, unless used for farmland or open space. I wouldn't see where detecting would be an issue . But is tbe land considered privately owned by the preserve now? Do I need to ask permission? And lastly... What's the likely hood that open fields that have been farmed for at least the last hundred years.... Possibly many many more Would give up much? Considering its been plowed every year for 100 plus years?

Here in CA where I'm at, we have land sorta like that. "Open Space Preserves", or land held in trust, etc... Some of it is not actually "park" land, (and perhaps it still even still has cows grazing on it), but is held in some sort of trust, for eventual (hoped-for-someday) additions to the boundries of existing park land that is adjacent to it (but perhaps in the short run, is not formally annexed into the status of "park" yet).

To answer your question, we hunt those places all the time, whenever we've researched out something that used to be there. And no, we've never had any issues. But then again .... perhaps we didn't ask enough questions.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or the "right" person! :laughing7:

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Thanks all. I think it will be fine, considering it was my gransparent's. they sold it to the land preserve and he doesn't seed it anymore.. So it sits and will sit.. Unless used for farmland. Just have to find back ways onto these fields, so I can park .. Thanks!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
always get permission the worst they can say is no is not anything out there worth getting fined or getting your detector took away

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
always get permission the worst they can say is no is not anything out there worth getting fined or getting your detector took away

"permission" to find the boyscout ring her grandfather lost there back when he was a boy? I mean, we're not talking about private land here ...........

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if he sold it its private

Not necessarily....In Michigan is a plot of farmland and houses that was sold to the county for wildlife preserve.
All county park rules apply.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hunt it untill someone says somethinf to you. 9 chances outta 10 u wont be bothered.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holly I would check with the Land Trust/Preserve that now is in control/ownership of your grandfather's old farmland, some preserves maybe publicly own and others are privately owned even if opened to the public to enjoy, many have numerous rules on what you can or can't do, many restrict you to only the trails if there are trails, no hunting, fishing etc., you never know what the rules are unless you check with the ones in charge of the preserve.

You don't have to necessarily ask about metal detecting, but most all of these land preserves have a website and you can check to see what they allow for a particular preserve on the website without even contacting a person and go from there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Holly I would check with the Land Trust/Preserve that now is in control/ownership of your grandfather's old farmland, some preserves maybe publicly own and others are privately owned even if opened to the public to enjoy, many have numerous rules on what you can or can't do, many restrict you to only the trails if there are trails, no hunting, fishing etc., you never know what the rules are unless you check with the ones in charge of the preserve.

You don't have to necessarily ask about metal detecting, but most all of these land preserves have a website and you can check to see what they allow for a particular preserve on the website without even contacting a person and go from there.

Correct. When say that "there may be rules of use", then I'm glad you clarify that this does NOT mean that she needs to go ask "can I metal detect?". On the contrary: All a person needs to do (if they're skittish) is to go look up those rules. And if there's nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited.

But to be honest with you, ........ most such places with this description, are just mundane forests, un-improved land, trails, etc... The places I can think of with this description here in CA, you'd be hard-pressed to ever see another individual anyhow. And since they are not developed parks, there's no rangers, "park" personell, etc... TO BEGIN WITH. But sure .... if someone is still skittish, they're welcome to go research current ownership (city, county, state, the sierra club, or whatever), and .... see what their rules are. I betcha detecting isn't mentioned at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Tom_in_CA said:
"permission" to find the boyscout ring her grandfather lost there back when he was a boy? I mean, we're not talking about private land here ...........

My thinking exactly. We sold it to save it... It's still ours in my opinion

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holly, you said it all in your first post. There are limits to the land use. Your grandparents didnt 'sell' the land they merely made an agreement with the government that the property would have use restrictions. That means, if they do sell it the deed would state those limitations which in this case means a developer wouldn't be interested because he couldnt put houses on it. I remember the first piece of land I bought to build a house on. I had animal restrictions in the deed. I could not have chickens, pigs, sheep cows, etc. In your case the restrictions are limited to 'open' land and 'farming'. I don't believe what you would do to the land MDing could compete with a 5 ton tracking with a 24" disc. Hunt away.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread