anybody else travel by bicycle to detect?

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day I was itching to do some hunting and remembered a gravel road nearby that used to have some old houses on it but they are no longer there. I don't know who owns those old properties so I didn't go on them, but I figured no harm in detecting in the ditches up and down the gravel road near them. So I put my gear in the car and headed out. Didn't find anything better than an old brass water valve but I did see more vehicles on the gravel road than I anticipated. I think I saw an old lady write my license plate number down but she could have been driving and doing a crossword puzzle. no way to know. Anyways it then occurred to me that I was recently given a cheap department store mountain bike and if I could find a way to carry my gear on it I could detect all the local places I want without leaving my car in odd places which may draw less attention to me.

I made a shoulder sling for my detector out of an old fake leather pool cue case, making sure there is nothing metal on the end near the coil. It has an adjustable shoulder strap and keeps the coil wire from rubbing and scraping things. I then found a messenger bag I had laying around and put my tool pouch and belt in there. Lots of room for finds in the bag plus whatever else I might need. This is me ready to ride over to a spot up the street for a quick hunt.

otEH0St.jpg

It's nice to get out on two wheels and I can get deeper into places now where my car would never go. It takes a bit to get used to carrying the gear along but I'm enjoying it and I can use the work out.

Upvote 0

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO /Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've changed up how I carry the detector since my first post. I found a heavy duty fabric bag from a folding beach chair that has a shoulder strap on it. It's made from nylon just like my messenger bag so it should hold up well. The detector fits nicely I just have to break it into two pieces. Seems safer to carry it this way and there is no added weight to the detector like my old setup.

ozmsLAH.jpg

As I was reading all the post I was thinking this same exact idea!

Target1972

Mar 27, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have also thought about biking and detecting, wasn't sure about how. The foldaway lawn chair bag is a brilliant idea. Thanks

sailor75

Dec 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm on the lookout for one of those chair bags
ANY other ideas? My bike has 150cc, but it's still a lot easier than a car - If I can only figure out how to carry the MD

shinerod

Apr 22, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2, Garrett GTAx400, Garrett Pro-Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always either walk or bike to my locations. Don't care much for driving.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the weather is cold or wet, I ride a motorcycle detecting. The AT Pro boom taken apart at the joint next to the box will fold without disconnecting any wiring and slips nicely into a saddle bag with just the coil and control box sticking out of the bag. My other hobby of buying old motorcycles, fixing them up and riding or selling them goes great with this hobby. A person should be able to find a pair of soft saddle bags from a motorcycle for cheap and adapt them to a bicycle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions