anybody else travel by bicycle to detect?

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day I was itching to do some hunting and remembered a gravel road nearby that used to have some old houses on it but they are no longer there. I don't know who owns those old properties so I didn't go on them, but I figured no harm in detecting in the ditches up and down the gravel road near them. So I put my gear in the car and headed out. Didn't find anything better than an old brass water valve but I did see more vehicles on the gravel road than I anticipated. I think I saw an old lady write my license plate number down but she could have been driving and doing a crossword puzzle. no way to know. Anyways it then occurred to me that I was recently given a cheap department store mountain bike and if I could find a way to carry my gear on it I could detect all the local places I want without leaving my car in odd places which may draw less attention to me.

I made a shoulder sling for my detector out of an old fake leather pool cue case, making sure there is nothing metal on the end near the coil. It has an adjustable shoulder strap and keeps the coil wire from rubbing and scraping things. I then found a messenger bag I had laying around and put my tool pouch and belt in there. Lots of room for finds in the bag plus whatever else I might need. This is me ready to ride over to a spot up the street for a quick hunt.

otEH0St.jpg

It's nice to get out on two wheels and I can get deeper into places now where my car would never go. It takes a bit to get used to carrying the gear along but I'm enjoying it and I can use the work out.

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very creative! I can see the advantage of that, I always think about where I'm parking my car, so it will be less visible, or so it standsout less. Plus you get some exercise!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there are so many back woods trails around here that go on for miles. Bicycles get to where I want to dig a lot faster then walking. I couldn't find a carrier for the back so I made one out of wood and attached it to the frame with metal bars. I bungee corded a plastic milk crate to the carrier.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have thought about doing it but wasn't sure how best to secure the detector. It would be a nice combination of two of my favorite activities.

HH,

Pete

OP
OP
dirtwizard

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool I figured there had to be others on bikes out there. I am hoping to get out for a little fresh air tomorrow. I know a lot of you guys have multiple detectors laying around, throw a shoulder strap on your back-up machine and take it for a bike ride.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've thought about biking with a metal detector, but what happens when you find a cannon ball? :)

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure that you have filled out the detector's warranty card before falling off! I personally do not trust myself doing things like that. My luck always runs cold...actually scratch the warranty info thing, I just looked it up and they don't cover bicycle wreck damage
:headbang:

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to ride my bike when I went out detecting, just a lot easier than constantly getting in and out of the car to go knock on doors to ask for permission. I carried the old White's 6000D in its protective case and tied it to the double basket setup I had on my Schwinn Super Sport, put many thousands of miles on that bike, good way to go for detecting...............63bkpkr

Oh, I used the bike for commuting to work, riding 70 mile days and many other side trips so not all those thousands of miles were completed while detecting.

rustyjunk

Apr 1, 2013
My daughters old bicycle trailer would be perfect for hauling gear around in i see them all the time at garage sales.

OP
OP
dirtwizard

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hadn't considered a small trailer for the bike, that would be perfect. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
I'm considering it to use for hard to park beaches. I can break down my tesoro and put it in a backpack - but the problem is with the long scoop.

bill_nj

Greenie
Aug 16, 2010
I'm considering it to use for hard to park beaches. I can break down my tesoro and put it in a backpack - but the problem is with the long scoop.

I do that. What I do is bungie the long handled scoop along the top off the bike frame just under the seat. With the bucket in the back.

OP
OP
dirtwizard

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've changed up how I carry the detector since my first post. I found a heavy duty fabric bag from a folding beach chair that has a shoulder strap on it. It's made from nylon just like my messenger bag so it should hold up well. The detector fits nicely I just have to break it into two pieces. Seems safer to carry it this way and there is no added weight to the detector like my old setup.

ozmsLAH.jpg

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool I figured there had to be others on bikes out there. I am hoping to get out for a little fresh air tomorrow. I know a lot of you guys have multiple detectors laying around, throw a shoulder strap on your back-up machine and take it for a bike ride.
I was "tectin" last Summer to a area I saw many had gone thru some streams & camping spots., I got a big head and thought I would find stuff passes up but I found lots of lead shot (Each time I thought I hit a goldie nug.) I finally went thru the dry creek and found the crevaces were vacumed clean. I hiked & hiked on foot and about a mile the same thing. Right then I thought what I need is a bike because it has bike trails by the dry creek. I returned and told my friend the area close to the street was picked clean, he snickered and said it was him lol. He told me he likes to use a Honda trail 50cc because it's light & he says it's good to go under wire fences. I asked about a 75 0r 150cc he said keep it light because it makes a difference going under the fence. Your bike idea is great, that is one way to get to the Almost "Virgin" areas for the hunt.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't even walk and chew gum at the same time but bicycling would be a great way to get to spots that a car might not be able to go to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread