SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of a beach - fresh water or salt water? With a sand shark there is no discrimination so you would have to dig every little thing. May be okay for a beach, but not for land.

OP
OP
S

Skexis

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry - saltwater beach. New to all this so would dig everything anyway. Just a bit worried re the complexities of this detector and whether its too advanced for me. Looking to do both wet and dry sand plus dunes. Not looking to go bush although the odd dry riverbed might be checked out as well. Beaches are the primary target as they're local.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulse detectors are simple to use but for newbies they can be tiring as you end up digging every little piece of hair pin ever lost. But they are easier to learn than VLF's which have more controls. Pulse units are not the best for rivers because of the trash. Most any none pulse is good for dry sand and dunes, but they are usually unstable in the wet sand near the water because of salt concentrations. You would have to cover a VLF with a baggie to protect it from the salt spray. We don't use the term (dig) but scoop is OK.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on digging everything, A PI (like the Sand Shark) is made for you! After a week of that (or in my case, an hour) you'll want something with discrimination. If you're staying out of the wet, a good VLF machine is the way to go. If you're going into the water, the Minelab Excalibur is a top performer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread