Detector Pole Length

bjones7134

Apr 3, 2013
I just wanted to share a thought I was having with determining a correct coil distance length with my new Ace 250. I had started out on the 2nd from the bottom hole, with a middle pole installed. It seemed to long for me, I'm 6'1", So I moved it up the length 7 holes to find my right height. I haven't seen any help on this subject so I thought I'd post my this, to maybe stir your thoughts. Thanks.

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jones
It`s your chose ....i like mine to hang from my arm...so my arm is straight...not bent as to get tired or arm cramp.And welcome to Tnet.
Gary

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As G.A.P. said, it's all about long-term strain on the arm. When I first got my detector, I kind of liked the idea of reaching with it, but quickly discovered that is a terrible way to execute a level swing. I have my pole set so that the coil can rest on the ground comfortably about a foot in front of my toes on the detector side. Keeping the coil closer to your body makes it easier to keep your swings consistent and it deals less wear to your upper body. Use your arm (and sometimes hips) for side-to-side motion only and always step forward or back any time you want to move in those directions. This keeps your equipment and technique centered around your point of balance. Every inch you extend away from your balancing point makes the swinging harder.

Last edited:

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going on a few hour hunt will tend to fatigue the arm and I find it a bit awkward to switch arms. Finding the perfect "sweet" spot for the length needed is crucial. Everyone is different so no one answer will work to address the main question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread