MXT Pro giving me a strong silver signal for copper

GeauxLSU

Apr 2, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new MXT Pro came in Thursday afternoon and I spent Saturday playing with my new toy. To my surprise, I had a very strong, solid silver signal within the first hour. I dug and dug and about 8 inches down was a piece of a copper pipe. Then the next day, I had the same exact thing on another piece of property at about the same depth (maybe about 6 or 7 inches deep this time instead of 8). Is this normal or was I using it incorrectly? I can't stand getting excited over finding silver coins then being disappointed when I find copper pipe. :BangHead:

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When stuff is down deep sometimes detectors have a hard time accurately determining the metal. So it may sound or give a VDI for silver and it actually is a rust old piece of iron. Or a big copper pipe. You can sometimes tell if you have something big instead of small by raising your coil off the ground six inches or so. If you still get a signal, chances are its something big. Of course it could be a cache of silver coins...

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Size & thickness play a role as much as metal alloy, and VDI's are calibrated to coin-sized targets. If copper is big/thick enough, it can register as silver. If silver is small/thin enough, it can look like aluminum foil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new MXT Pro came in Thursday afternoon and I spent Saturday playing with my new toy. To my surprise, I had a very strong, solid silver signal within the first hour. I dug and dug and about 8 inches down was a piece of a copper pipe. Then the next day, I had the same exact thing on another piece of property at about the same depth (maybe about 6 or 7 inches deep this time instead of 8). Is this normal or was I using it incorrectly? I can't stand getting excited over finding silver coins then being disappointed when I find copper pipe. :BangHead:
If you can't stand it, you may need a different hobby! :laughing7: You'll find lots of junk targets will mimic good ones. After you get a hundred hours or so on your machine, you'll be able to distinguish a few of the common ones. Finding the edges of the target will give you an idea of how big it is. I think it's the excitement of the unknown that keeps us hoping and digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread