FrequencyX

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Longtime lurker first time poster checking in.:hello: Little back story about myself. I watched SAVAGE DIGGERS and I was hooked! BOOOOOM BABY!:headbang:. Just kidding, that show is a disgrace and is laughable at best. I watched one episode and it was terrible. I can see why shows like this are a danger to the hobby. Their sweeping methods were a joke, they tore up the earth like it was going out of style and they always managed to find something worth 5000 dollars. I can see the show spawning some get rich types quick to purchase md's, tear up the ground for a bit and be disappointed.

Anyway, I have always wanted a detector as a little boy, but Christmas's came and went without a detector. It wasn't until my life was blessed with two daughters (3 and 4) who absolutely love finding treasure and digging for treasure. They would spend hours with their trowels and dig in the backyard dirt finding "treasure." Most times it was nails, pull tabs and other junk, but one time they found an old die cast from 1991! We would play games and I would bury necklaces in certain areas and have them find the treasures. They loved it. Wasn't until a few months ago that I thought, you know, we should get a MD to start finding some better treasures and I think the girls and I would really enjoy it. So that's what I did, I ordered a Fisher F2 and patiently waited for its arrival last month. Got my City MD permit and we hit some playgrounds when the weather cooperated. Just like I thought, we all had a great time and can see why this is a very addicting and rewarding hobby. We found mainly clad and nothing too old, but it was a lot of fun. Since weather has been crappy lately, I have been doing lots of research into some older sites and farm land that I will be trying to get permission to detect on. Some of the sites are out of town which have lots of history in the 1800's and 1920's. One location I had in mind used to be a very active community with schools, stores and churches, but now is only a few farm houses with acreage split between them. Now that I am done rambling, on to my question! Have any of you ever encountered a land owner or private property owner who would allow you to detect, but they keep the finds? I have had one person tell me this so far, and it was disappointing to hear.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
50/50 is the only split I have run into. But I usually detect in public "woods". Have fun, and good luck, I would go detecting with my grandpa(papa) when I was
your daughters age's. And it is a very cherished memory, which is why I detect today.:icon_thumleft:

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the addiction! LoL Getting the little ones involved is a great idea. I remember detecting with my family at that age. Found our first buffalo nickel too. Great memories!

As for your question, i've never encountered that, tho i've heard of it happening. I would just move on....or give the owner the hundreds of bottlecaps, pulltabs, nails you find...and you will find them. Perhaps, after that, they'll just change their mind.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FrequencyX, You've got me wondering what part of Montana your in. I'm in the Flathead and I've never heard of needing a permit. If your ever coming this way let me know .

OP
OP
F

FrequencyX

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FrequencyX, You've got me wondering what part of Montana your in. I'm in the Flathead and I've never heard of needing a permit. If your ever coming this way let me know .

GTF. City parks require a permit :( . No trowels, shovels or anything. Coin popping is about the only option.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome and happy hunting. Screw the permits, I would consider moving. No such thing in Arkansas.

OP
OP
F

FrequencyX

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome and happy hunting. Screw the permits, I would consider moving. No such thing in Arkansas.

I hear ya. It was surprising to find this in our city ordinances. We are in podunkville in Central MT and it took me by surprise. Probe method takes some practice.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread