Coin collector just starting to fish the dirt.

SirBearium

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2013
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased my Bounty Hunter Lone Star last week and have been out hunting about 5 times. First off, what is something you wished you knew when starting out this awesome hobby? Also, any tips you would like to share with a newbie are much appreciated.
For the most part i've been sticking to the bark area of my city parks (park rules state you can detect, but can't dig in the grass) and have found nothing but pocket change and pull tabs. I visited the only two abandoned old houses I know about, but many late night teenagers like to use them as their hangout & drink spots so it was extremely trashy and I couldn't get a good reading.
I live in eastern Washington so unfortunately there are very few beaches here. Any recommendations of good hunting spots for coins & jewelry (who doesn't like to make a buck or two?)? Can't wait for next weekend!!

~SirBearium

P.S. any tips on making clean plugs so that grass doesn't die and it looks good? My backyard looks like a gopher town...

Upvote 0

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you in eastern wa? I'm over on the west side, but I'm familiar with many areas over there as I've got family spread out that way.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research is very important so you don't waste time hunting unproductive areas. Focus on what you want to find and concentrate your research and equipment toward that.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get on youtube and look up vids on cutting plugs and digging coins. best way to learn is to watch someone experienced.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha. The spokane area has TONS of history. Downtown spokane has parks that will give up some nice finds.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way to dig a plug is what some would call a three sided plug. Now generally a plug is round so just leave about 25% of the plug un cut. Be sure to dig deep enough beyond the grass roots as to not destroy them will help also. On replacing the plug try to seal the edges as best as possible as air is the worst thing for grass roots and will surely kill them. Digging in already moist soil is a good thing. I have even mark my plugs in a established lawn and used the owners garden hose to water each on before I left. Never had any complaints so far. Once you learn your detector and are able to estimate depth you need to learn how to prob and pop a shallow coin as this type of cut or disturbance to the soil is much less damaging and rarely noticeable if done correctly. You will find all kinds of help on You Tube on both way as has already been offered. Leave no trace is a great motto.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read up on the rules can't use anything other than a 3/8' probe in parks in Spokane. It doesn't stop me slows me a little but doesn't stop me.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to this great hobby of MD'ing! Practice, practice,practice, till you and your detector are practically one! You need to know what it is telling you about the target in the ground. Usually in the beginning that means a lot of digging, but as you get familiar with your detector good targets will increase and trash will decrease. Your ultimate goal is target retrieval to the degree no one could tell you were even there. Properly dispose of the trash you dig. And HH! Remember to post pics of your finds on T-Net so we can all enjoy looking!
You should get a pin pointer too, makes finding the target easier.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased my Bounty Hunter Lone Star last week and have been out hunting about 5 times. First off, what is something you wished you knew when starting out this awesome hobby? Also, any tips you would like to share with a newbie are much appreciated.
For the most part i've been sticking to the bark area of my city parks (park rules state you can detect, but can't dig in the grass) and have found nothing but pocket change and pull tabs. I visited the only two abandoned old houses I know about, but many late night teenagers like to use them as their hangout & drink spots so it was extremely trashy and I couldn't get a good reading.
I live in eastern Washington so unfortunately there are very few beaches here. Any recommendations of good hunting spots for coins & jewelry (who doesn't like to make a buck or two?)? Can't wait for next weekend!!

~SirBearium

P.S. any tips on making clean plugs so that grass doesn't die and it looks good? My backyard looks like a gopher town...

If you think the site is old and worth it, stake your claim. If its trashed treat it like a real dig. Take the time to clean the new debris away to get clean signals. As for plugs. Try not to dig the whole plug out but "hinge" it so some vegetation is connected to promote faster regrowth. Take the time to make sure all or most of the soil is back in the hole. Unless in a drought or severe rocky soil it looks like I was never there.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it's dry I carry milk jug of water around with me a water the plugs right after digging them. It works and if you don't do it they'll die. I dig three way plug. I dig em deep and try to disturb the root structure as little as possible. I also use a dirt rag, it makes for a cleaner plug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread