Need help with my plug cutting . Not happy with my results .

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to a site that I hunted a few months ago and inspected a few of my plugs that I had previously cut . Now that the grass is greening up and growing it was pretty evident that it had been detected . The grass wasn't completely dead but not nearly as green as the rest of the yard , also it was either slightly sunken in or you could see where the sides were cut . It didn't look horrible but I am not comfortable knocking on doors after seeing this. This was my grandmothers yard and it didn't bother her but I didn't like the results. All of my other sites have been old cellar holes in the woods so this was my first " nice " yard .

I used a Fiskars serrated planting " knife " to cut the plugs . I cut 3 sides and hinged the flap over and left the fourth side intact . Laid a cloth down and laid any other soil on top of it . Then poured the soil back in the hole , tamped it down with my fingers , and hinged the plug back down and tamped it down with my foot .

Any ideas on what I should do different .

Upvote 0

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are doing all you can do in cutting your plugs to minimize your damage and it will just take a little more time and you won't even know you were there. Your doing fine

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I found is the sharpen your digger. It makes a more precise edge that disturbs less grass and comes in almost invisibly.

After using serrated and non serrated diggers, I am most happy with the results of a non serrated. The lesche works well since you have a straight and a serrated edge. I keep mine sharper than most pocket knives.

WM

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like your technique is good. I prefer 3 sided cuts because it leaves some of the root structure intact. The only thing I can think is you could mix a little fertilizer with water in a gallon milk jug and water your plugs after you reassemble them. I have heard of people doing this during droughts.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may not be cutting your plugs large enough. They should be minimum 4" across the hinge, 5-6" is better. That leaves more of the grass root in the ground. Your plug should be about the size of a horseshoe. Main thing to remember is stepping hard on the plug to ensure its re-imbedded in the soil.

Magneticwood

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to metal detecting and also trying to get the plug cutting technique down. Actually I am trying to stop digging every hit I get so deep. Also the coil is 8" so that's the minimum hole size too.. I just can't get the feel for being centered over the item in the ground. I X the spot but still am afraid of possibly chopping something up with my spade. Any advice would be great . I use the bounty hunter quick draw ii . I still have so much to learn just getting the hang of mixed beeps , discrimination and so on, but with time I hope to improve.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We dont need no stinking plugs lol.

Martianguitar, I take my trowel and beat the edges till you cant tell I dug after reinserting the plug. Magnetwood, I started off with almost the same machine. it will hit silver hard. You don't need it all the way on to hunt a park, just bumpit on. The disc needs to be around 2/3 of the way to really get rid of the bottle caps and hair pins. Use that notch button and switch back and forth to tell good targets from bad. You should be able to dig a bb sized piece of metal at 8" inches, so that's why I gave you these settings. You will have to practice till you get the pin point right. Your just gonna hit some targets. Try this, take your hand held pin pointer and detect first, see if you can just pop the target out of the ground. Heck of a lot easier than digging a plug just to find the target in the grass roots near the surface. If that don't work, just get a 5" inch sniper coil, you dig a perfect plug every time that way. good Luck guys.

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atleast your not cutting circles and pulling the entire plug out i see a lot of noobs doing this and they cut such a shallow plug theres barely any dirt and grass left in the plug so when a lawn mower goes over it the blades suck the plug right out of the ground and theres tons of holes without plugs in them anymore....so when you cut your plug try to cut it deep

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to metal detecting and also trying to get the plug cutting technique down. Actually I am trying to stop digging every hit I get so deep. Also the coil is 8" so that's the minimum hole size too.. I just can't get the feel for being centered over the item in the ground. I X the spot but still am afraid of possibly chopping something up with my spade. Any advice would be great . I use the bounty hunter quick draw ii . I still have so much to learn just getting the hang of mixed beeps , discrimination and so on, but with time I hope to improve.

A Garrett Pro pointer will do wonders for limiting hole/ dig size. Never leave home without it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see you are trying your best to repair your digs. I hunted a school yesterday and spent more time fixing someone else's massive holes than I did detecting. Someone used a shovel and most of the holes were replaced upside down. Some over a foot wide. They must have had a crappy detector also as I found a silver ring and a 1940 wheat right next to their hole.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like using a slit method when possible. It seems to be the least noticeable days after you've done it. You cut a slit in the sod right across the centerline of your target. Spread the two side apart (think rib spreader!) with your trowel, then start grabbing handfuls of dirt, passing them over the coil and then placing them on a piece of plastic. If you don't find the target in the first few handfuls, grab the pinpointer and see if you can locate the target that way. Once you have the target, funnel the dirt back into the hole and squeeze the sides of the slit back together. In some cases you can't use that method but in most areas they water, you can. If the ground is petrified, no method works good but it helps to water that area (and sometimes add fertilizer) to help it recover faster.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind when trying to limit grass browning is to cut DEEP plugs. The hardest thing on turf is root damage, so cutting shallow plugs, tearing the roots and exposing the those roots to drying in the sun while you recover can really shock them.

If you have a nice, manicured lawn to hunt, just dig large, "horseshoe" plugs, and then pour some fertilizer laced water on the plug when you are done. If anything they will have some REALLY green spots a week later.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think shape matters. Plugs with straight walls heal better and faster, than angled cuts. The thinner the blade, the less trauma to the turf. Before you set the plug, dig some dirt from the hole, or off the plug. Chop it up in the hole, fluff it up! If you do it right, the plug should sit ABOVE the hole before replanted. What your trying to acheive is AIR SPACE. Give the damaged roots an easy space to grow into.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos to you for being concerned. You're on the right track and there's a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I often use Cudamark's slit example, but it isn't always practical on the deeper targets. On targets in the first three inches or so, I work a screwdriver under the target and bring it up with that. this usually leaves a small slit like trench that pushes back together easily and invisibly. Just be careful not to scratch an older, valuable coin.
luvsdux

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi magneticwood, you may want to start your own thread. You will get better responses that way. Folks don't know your here if you in someone elses thread.

Just lay a quarter in the ground and practice. Your gonna nick some targets, it just happens. As for digging trash, get away from the trash, you got a beep and dig machine. Try a minimum of 10' feet away from sidewalks and large trees. I own a Bounty Hunter 202 and its very close to your model. They are great lil machines. You may want a 5" inch sniper coil for trashy areas, it will help some. I run the big brother now, a Fisher F75. There is absolutely no comparison of these machines. I can go out and dig no or little trash with it. But practice with bounty hunter will get you better results. Just go fpr surface targets, and only high sounding beeps. Good Luck.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like using a slit method when possible. It seems to be the least noticeable days after you've done it. You cut a slit in the sod right across the centerline of your target. Spread the two side apart (think rib spreader!) with your trowel, then start grabbing handfuls of dirt, passing them over the coil and then placing them on a piece of plastic. If you don't find the target in the first few handfuls, grab the pinpointer and see if you can locate the target that way. Once you have the target, funnel the dirt back into the hole and squeeze the sides of the slit back together. In some cases you can't use that method but in most areas they water, you can. If the ground is petrified, no method works good but it helps to water that area (and sometimes add fertilizer) to help it recover faster.

This is what I do (minus the pin pointer) and have seen first hand how minimal the impact is compared to cutting plugs.
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
M

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas .

mainliner

Greenie
Feb 4, 2013
Chambersburg Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I do (minus the pin pointer) and have seen first hand how minimal the impact is compared to cutting plugs.
Cheers,
Dave.

This is what I do also,,, Learn to cut a slit and spread the sod, most targets are going to be no more than 6 inches anyhow. Ever notice when you dig a plug then you have to tear the plug down to find the target? Cut a slit, spread the sod, pop the coin or ring out then push sod back together, this is the only method I will use in my own yard.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think shape matters. Plugs with straight walls heal better and faster, than angled cuts. The thinner the blade, the less trauma to the turf. Before you set the plug, dig some dirt from the hole, or off the plug. Chop it up in the hole, fluff it up! If you do it right, the plug should sit ABOVE the hole before replanted. What your trying to acheive is AIR SPACE. Give the damaged roots an easy space to grow into.
I agree. Before I replace the plug, I dig the dirt in the bottom of the hole up well so the soil is aerated. If the dirt is loose, it allows the roots to grow easier which maintains the health of the grass

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude....I'm new to detecting, but I love my grass. I Dig parks, like I Dig my own lawn. Airating the dirt is the KEY! Proper tools are the answer!

I cut plugs. I cut them straight up and down, like a cork. Before I replace the 'cork' I fluff the dirt enough that the plug rides high. When you force it into place, it won't heave or settle.

I have double and tripped checked my holes. NOTHING! You can't even tell I was there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread