Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Which can only get a consistent coin signal down to 6". In a month I have found $10 or more in clad, 7 wheats, 1 barber dime and a buffalo. The Barber dime, 1 wheat and the buffalo were in the same hole. A weird thing is I have found two surface wheats and one wheat a inch down in gravel, I assume the surface ones were recently dropped. But what I was really wondering is how deep are those older drops (pre. 1965).PS I live in New England

Thanks,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins can sink or stay on top. Mostly leaf litter composts and just covers them and the depths can vary from location to location.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Sandman said, they can be at all depths. I've poked a seated dime on top of the ground and dug Memorial cents at 10". Type of ground/soil, moisture/rain, temperature extremes, erosion, foot traffic, lawn mowers, aerators, rototillers, gardening, seeding, planting, etc will all have an effect on how deep targets will sink (or rise!)

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I agree with the above comments too. I dig a lot of coins most fall in the 2" to 4" range and I dug some 1800 stuff too. I can't remember how deep the deepest coin I dug was but I am guessing maybe 8". Funny I checked my backyard today and dug about two bucks, nothing great and I can tell you the deepest was around 4".

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a 1980 Lincoln the other day at 6 inches! I would have bet the farm it was a wheatie. You never know!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It really depends on where (geographically) you are at.

The soil of Ohio & Michigan - I call it black sponge cake. Not unusual to hit 10-12", even on recent coins. Once found an IH at 1" down, and a balled up cigarette pack at 13".

Now, in the red dirt of Virginia & NC, you cut the flap and you're 3" down and facing red clay. Found a Franklin at the bottom of the 3" flap. They don't go far below the sod - rocks & clay below that.

So...... depends on where you are at and what you see.....

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting since Feb '13. I dug my first silver within 2 days of detecting...less than 4". I dug my first wheatie 2 days ago at 10". 'Old' does not mean deep! Learn to understand signals.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No reliable answer to this question. Too many variable from location to location. The latest silver dime I've retrieved was just barely under the surface.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread