Looking for input/advice on a second detector

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have at my disposal my main rig, an at pro got the 2 coil pack, 2 cibolas, and a vaquero. I had decided about 6 years ago to get back into metal detecting, primarily coin/small relics etc, this area is loaded with gold also most of it being from gram/sub-gram..to flour though a nugget that weighed 14 oz was discovered last year with a metal detector. I plan to prospect some, but it may be a few years before I actively hunt out an area for a gold claim. The fee for a claim here is $180 up front then $14 a year to hold it. When I ran it past my loved ones that I would finally be purchasing a machine, many of them were also interested. The catch was that none had the money to invest in Any type of respectable machine. I took it upon myself to purchase 4 machines, this had a major impact on my choices. I ended up getting an at pro, a cibola for my son, one for my fiance(she found a gold ring the 3rd time out) and a vaquero for my dad who introduced me to the hobby many years ago. I am in the market for a upper end machine that would be a nice compliment to the ones I have access to already. I am not interested in the e-trac, any and all opinions are welcome. Looking to spend 2-3k. Thanks for looking

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Model#? And any others feel free to chime in on cascas suggestion if you have experience with that model, thanks casca

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Speaking of fine gold, I was looking around at a place called the slabs in Ca near Niland. I was using a Whites Surfmaster PI and I started to pick up signals. I would pick up the rock, wipe it off and the signal vanished. I finally figured it out. Flour gold was washing down from the Chocolate Mountains in washes and collecting on the rocks so I started to wipe off the rocks in a zip lock bag. I washed the contents in my gold magic wheel and there it was. The detector will pick up flour gold, but only when concentrated on rocks. The detector will also pick up small nuggets and pickers larger than a pinhead.
My advice, pick up a used one and try it out. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya wanna adopt another member to your family, just a thought? You are one heck of a dad, son and husband to be. . Sorry I don't have any advice other than MineLab will probably be my last upgrade if I ever Upgrade. HH Hunter

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Casca. If you want a great coin and relic machine, go with a Minelab CTX3030 or an E-trac if you want to spend less and not need the waterproof and GPS features. If you're after another nugget machine, the Minelab gold machines are second to none. If they're out of your price range, a Fisher gold bug is a very good nugget finder too.

OP
OP
F

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info, cudamark. You wouldn't happen to be a mopar guy would you? Well just in case here's a picture of my 3 years and counting project, once it is done I will have a lot more free time to hunt

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130503_055658.png
    ForumRunner_20130503_055658.png
    232.9 KB · Views: 103

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thanks for the info, cudamark. You wouldn't happen to be a mopar guy would you? Well just in case here's a picture of my 3 years and counting project, once it is done I will have a lot more free time to hunt
Hay Fabbr, I'm a mopar guy, but my projects finished. It's been thru the black hills, had a sip of water at Walls Drug and seen the presidents at Rushmore. Maybe been near you. Frank...

300MH.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Mopar guy! Just retired from owning an all Mopar wrecking yard for 32 years. Here's one of mine.....

Attachments

• 100_0425.jpg
    100_0425.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 99

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread