concordsunderlandhall1908.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 342
  • sunderland now.jpg
    sunderland now.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Did that go from a 2 story to a 1 story ? Wonder why in the world they did that ? It looked like a mansion with both stories on there.

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Yep, it was actually 3 stories, now just one. I've seen additions added to old houses before, but this major subtraction is a first for me, too.

By the way, the building was first a girls school, built in 1890, then became a women's college, then a social club, then a dorm for a local business college, then a "football" dorm from a local college football team, then a retirement home. Now, I'm not realy sure what it is actually used for. But I will get with the property owner and find out.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
It sure has some history for you....Hope you find tons. Its a crying shame about them taking the additional stories off...I really hate when they screw up beautiful old architecture.
Good Luck.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a beautiful building in it's day. Wishing you all the best detecting with lots of finds. Keep us posted! ;D

;) RR

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool place, but how are going to get permission on that spot?????????

T

TreasureTales

Sometimes a fire would damage or destroy an upper story and the only recourse was to downscale. That might be the case with this old house. An historical society or the local county clerk's office might shed some light on the answer.

The place has had lots of visitors/residents through the years, so here's wishing you great success when you set about hunting the property.

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
Wow, what a beautiful old place. Too bad it is not a grand old place anymore. Hope it yields some goodies for you.

99Brown

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
yeah i wonder if it ever burnt to the ground and reused the foundation, reading about the old towns here in the U.P. and it seems like they all burnt down at one time or a nother in the 1800's, a cause for a lot of ghost towns, with all the lumber gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread