whites and gold

jackragusa

Greenie
Nov 13, 2010
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
white's and gold

I have a white's DFX and recently received an 8" x 14" DD coil and was wondering if this huge coil would do any good on hunting placer size gold on my claims. I know the KHZ is only 15 but, I was hoping I could try it on mossy rocks and sweep bedrock just to get an indication of the presence of gold. I dont have a smaller coil which I know would probably work much better, but you work with what you have sometimes. So eill this work or am I wasting time. Thanks alot folks

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless you have some reasonably larger flakes (like 10 mesh size), no Metal Detector (except, maybe a Falcon MD-20) will find much in the way of tiny Placer Gold. In reality, a smaller coil works better for finding small gold than a larger coil (that is my experience). I use a 4X6 DD on my GMT.

I often use my detector to find areas to dig out and run material thru a Gold Cube. What you want to do is a good idea, but a bigger coil may not be the best choice.

I have a larger coil on my Whites 5900 for relic hunting.

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a mighty big coil for nugget hunting with a DFX. If you live in the East, I'd say it's a waste of time. Out West you may get lucky and swing your coil over a nugget large enough to hear it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasting time.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread