Guess I am like everyone else...... found first Mercury dime.

swcda

Jun 23, 2012
Back in Coeur d'Alene, ID
Detector(s) used
MineLab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read numerous "firsts" postings and pledge I would not post one. Well here I am breaking my my own rules.

Story goes like this.... I was detecting a park in Williston, ND since I had some time off from working. When doing so a couple guys stopped to chat. They both mentioned I should head down to the train station since that is the oldest part of town. Duh, why didn't I think of that. Since I was not finding much in the park I headed down to the station. 10 minutes later I found a 1917 mercury dime and a bar token good for one drink! I have been trying to do research on the token but having no luck finding any info on the bar name in Williston. Oh well, still two "firsts" within 15 min is cool with me.

Headed back to the train station today to spend more time and to see what else I can find.

image copy.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! I am just South of you in Watford City and am still looking for my "first" decent find. The train station makes sense as a good location to hunt. Been there many times, but never to detect. How many parks/schools have you tried there?

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And your Obsession has begun....You have taken an important step and may not even realize it. To find the old stuff you have to find the old places. Congrats it only gets better from here. Hunter

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mercs are my favorite silver coins of all,congrats you .

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the old coins!

OP
OP
swcda

swcda

Jun 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MineLab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected the parks in Crosby, ND a lot last year and did ok. 'm pretty sure I was the only person who has been up there because I found a lot of coins! Mostly clad but I did find 5 1960's dimes and a 7 60's quarters. Now that I am out of Williston I will be hitting these areas more now. If your ever free send me a message and lets go on a hunt in ND.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You are on your way to attaining "stud-muffin" status. Pretty soon, even seateds will bore you, and it will take gold coins to entice you out to hunt, haha

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Williston for a couple years and detected alot, did my best in Sidney. The park inAlexander is realy old, I stopped and talked to a guy detecting as he was digging a barber dime. There are quite a few gosht towns towards Tioga, google Temple ND it is one of the coolest places I've ever seen one of the sites tells who owns it. Another place to go is White Earth closer to Ross, I met a guy here in Kalispell and told him about White Earth, he told me his brother owns most of the town and would surely let me seaech. If you go there he owns and runs campground at old scholl on left coming into town. White Earth is mostly empty and is oldest town in that county. Good Luck.

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the info! Did you have any luck going back to the train depot swcda?

OP
OP
swcda

swcda

Jun 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MineLab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back yesterday and found a 1904 Indian head penny. Besides that just a bunch of clad. I'm going to head up to Temple in the next couple of days when my rig is skidding. Hopefully I can find some owners and get permission to hunt.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idon't know if you guys noticed or not but no trespassing signs have land owners name on them in ND.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread