tjbad

May 11, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knows of any property that is public other than parks near butler, pa.

I've found a few things in parks but I'd have to say the best place I've found things is at Glade Run Lake on Overbrook Rd. in Saxonburg, Pa.

Found 4 anchors, numerous coins, pocket knives, tackle, misc other items. If you're looking for a place to dig and don't mind getting muddy this is a great place. Also found a boat lol but didn't feel like digging it out of the lake bed. Its amazing the thing that you find on a lake bottom when they drain it.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do some research on the lake,
if there is an old swimming area hit it hard & dig all can tab signals :thumbsup:

also any steep hills they fished off of.
check the bottoms for tackle Boxes that slid down the bank.

If there is a road along one side, find the closest areas , check the bottoms for ,
Guns, Pay phones, & other contraband :thumbsup:

Get muddy !

forget everywhere else, stick to the drained lake & Get Muddy :icon_thumright: Trust Me on this

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knows of any property that is public other than parks near butler, pa.

I've found a few things in parks but I'd have to say the best place I've found things is at Glade Run Lake on Overbrook Rd. in Saxonburg, Pa.

Found 4 anchors, numerous coins, pocket knives, tackle, misc other items. If you're looking for a place to dig and don't mind getting muddy this is a great place. Also found a boat lol but didn't feel like digging it out of the lake bed. Its amazing the thing that you find on a lake bottom when they drain it.

I lived in the Butler area for 20 years but moved away 20 years ago. I fished at glade run lake when we lived there. There is a fair grounds off 422 West of Butler. I remember when custom van owners had a van feast there every year. Lake Arthur is probably a good place but would need to stay out of the moraine state park unless they allow metal detecting. Some areas around the lake are game lands I believe. Old 422 is now submerged in the lake. There is a boat launch there. And public parking. Would probably be a good area to detect. There used to be a small park in downtown Butler right after you cross the bridge on route 8 to enter the business area downtown.

There is public fishing lake near Zelienople too, but I forget the name of it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA state parks are open to detecting ,
as long as you advise them you are going to do it,
in case there is a permit needed.
or protected historical spots.

Just go to or call the Park office tell them you would like to detect in the state park,
and they should advise you what's what.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA state parks are open to detecting ,
as long as you advise them you are going to do it,
in case there is a permit needed.
or protected historical spots.

Just go to or call the Park office tell them you would like to detect in the state park,
and they should advise you what's what.

Good to know.

OP
OP
tjbad

tjbad

May 11, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to Almeda Park in Butler yesterday and found a 1900 Indian Head Penny.. Oldest coin I've ever found.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations

Have you ever detected McConnell Mill Park?. Lots of people went there for picnics and fun when I lived in area. I googled it awhile back. Slippery Rock Creek reportedly has placer gold too but it is fast and dangerous water at Park......people have drowned when they got pulled under rocks, but I am not sure if one could prospect there anyway. If I ever go back there, I am going to investigate. I have been gone too long to think of good places to go MD. They used to have a rodeo up in North Washington to support fire department. People from all over the country came to that event. That was 40 years ago and it had been a annual affair for quite awhile. Would be good place to check out. Also the Lake along route 38 that has picnic area might be interesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tjbad

tjbad

May 11, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank you

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I detected Moraine State Park last week. In the past, I thought they required a permit. So I checked in at the ranger station near the south shore entrance. Here is what they said:

-- No permit required
-- Stay away from the beaches ...(don't detect around people)
-- Dig only with a screw driver
-- Anything of historical value must be reported and turned over to the park

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions