General Rules For Detecting

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just looking for some basic info on how you go about choosing where to hunt without breaking laws. I understand this may be more of a local area type question, but aside from private property and the obvious "No Trespassing" signs, is there any "common law" type scenarios I should be aware of? I would like to hit some of the state forests that I used to hunt which do not specifically state such rules, but I don't want to create a problem where there isn't one with regards to permits and certain groups who frown upon digging certain if not all treasures if you catch my drift. Thanks and HH!! 8-)

Upvote 0

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
States differ on laws so you will probably have to look into your states laws to get all the facts.. As for getting permission from people courtesy goes a long way.. Remember the landowner is always right and try to leave the place nicer than you found it.. Stay away from places you should'nt be and and remember there are alot of us in this hobby on persons bad actions reflect on the rest of us too..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hire private detectives to follow Chicago Ron and Gary Drayton around and report thier hunting locations to me. Hey, whatever works! :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking for some basic info on how you go about choosing where to hunt without breaking laws. I understand this may be more of a local area type question, but aside from private property and the obvious "No Trespassing" signs, is there any "common law" type scenarios I should be aware of? I would like to hit some of the state forests that I used to hunt which do not specifically state such rules, but I don't want to create a problem where there isn't one with regards to permits and certain groups who frown upon digging certain if not all treasures if you catch my drift. Thanks and HH!! 8-)

You do your on research, go on line and research local law, if there is no law against it then go detecting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, check the laws on the books for that particular piece of public land. If nothing there specifically about metal detecting, I'd go for it. Just don't ask someone for permission or you're bound to get a "NO".....it's much easier for them than a yes with conditions.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
marh415, just remember, when/if you look up the state park rules for Rhode Island, that a) those only apply to state parks, not other forms of land (city, county, etc...). b) and that only applies to state PARKS, not other forms of state (or federal) land. In other words: not all state land is state "park" land. Road right-of-ways, for example, are not "state park" land, although they may be state "land". And "forests" (or BLM land, etc..), may not be the same class as "parks". So that FMDAC state-by-state list, although frequently cited, is very limited on the scope of sites it covers (and is sometimes questionable anyhows).

Personally, if it were me, I when it comes to "forests" (as you say you're thinking of going to), then ....... honestly ........ how far from people are you going to be? I mean, are you planning on wearing a big neon orange "x" on your back or something ?

OP
OP
marh415

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do your on research, go on line and research local law, if there is no law against it then go detecting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have been doing my own research, my question was more directed at the gray areas and how most people approach certain situations. I'm well aware of the ethics having hunted private land for many years, just looking other opinions, that's all! Thanks again!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its public land and there's no signs sayin that u can't detect then go hunt them.

OP
OP
marh415

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its public land and there's no signs sayin that u can't detect then go hunt them.

That's how I feel also, I also plan on trying to acquire some private land too. We'll see!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread