discouraged....

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and 350,BH Tracker IV and now the Garrett AT Pro and White's VX3.
Hi all...

Just curious if anyone else has ever gotten to a point of frustration with the hobby so bad they contemplated selling off their gear.
In the past couple weeks I've been yelled at, threatened, had golf balls hit directly at me and for what? A few coins and a stupid penguin bracelet bead?
Has anyone felt like this before? If so, what was the end result? How did you shake the frustration?

Anyone interested in an ATP package? Lol

Sent from my Galaxy note 2 using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you let morons stop you from doing something that you otherwise enjoy?
It would just motivate me to go out and piss even more busy bodies off.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a hunting partner. It helps to have support and a sounding board for those bad situations. The friendly competition helps motivation also.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a hunting partner. It helps to have support and a sounding board for those bad situations. The friendly competition helps motivation also.

I agree I would also check old maps and find fields and woods to hunt when you need a place void of people

Scouts out!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
You might consinder MD'ng in less obvious (public exposed) places for a while Adamsr0522!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up. . . it takes more than a few hunts to develop a "thick skin" impervious to the insults from those who have nothing better to do.

I've been detecting about 7-years now and feel the most comfortable when I hunt public areas that are less traveled. Many of these places
are former picnic groves and camping havens that have now been overgrown & forgotten. I've made some of my best finds in these types of areas.

Don't overlook private homes built in the 1940's & 1950's owned by your friends & family. I found my first silver dollar at one two weeks ago.

Don't give up & HH!

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
Iv'e never felt like quitting, but I have gotten so frustrated I felt like throwin my detector in the dern river.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the same situation right now. I'm only two weeks into the hobby, which I'm really enjoying. However, I've been trying to find public places that allow hunting but avoid attention at the same time, which is obviously an issue. I haven't been harassed or anything like that, just trying to keep a low profile I guess. I'm going to hit an old farm that the state bought many years ago where my father taught me to shoot. I think it should make for some good hunting, can't wait for the weekend now!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
You might consinder MD'ng in less obvious (public exposed) places for a while Adamsr0522!
...vpnavy ...is right on with what he has said............. I have not hunted for years were there are people at.....

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I get on a cold streak, but I have found so many good things over the years that I could never totally give up this hobby. This game is one of patience. Hell, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Personally, I like to hunt the less populous wooded areas. Some of my absolute best finds have been from the woods. Last weekend I found a seated dime...my first seated. Is that enough to keep me going back for more? Hell yeah it is. Be patient my friend, be on the lookout for new areas, and get out there and find the good stuff!

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you quit, the terrorist win!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have all been in the same situation bfor I find that as others looking for the less obvious out of the public eye spots to go.to & its a whole new world of fun when u go out with a hinting partner someone to share info on what u both like is better then talkin to urself

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, I'm jealous...you're in the Northeast! Colonial history, Long time settlements, Revolutionary war, French and Indian war. 200 year old towns with rich histories, old buildings, hills and woods full of trapper and trailblazer stomping grounds, long-rifle shootin' Hawkeyes and too much more history to mention. I'm stuck here in SW Indiana...no ocean beach, no boom towns or times, no famous ghost towns, no gold fields, no battlefields, no military history, no stinkin' 200 year old nothin'. Even Abe Lincoln got the heck out of here the first time his Dad turned his back. All we Hoosiers ever done is High School basketball, barbeque, and drink beer, (and apparently see how many tin foil wads and pull tabs we can toss in public places). Even in this treasure hunting boredom capitol of the world I have found some keepers over the years, and I guarantee there are many more great items to be found where you live, you just have to do some research and keep diggin'. Bury some good and bad objects together and get to know how your detectors respond and you will do well. HH

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i`d grab his golf club and shove it where the sun don`t shine...just cuz you have a metal detector in your hand doesen`t mean you have to be a nice guy to an a$$hole !!
Gary

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't get discouraged Adamsr and you really are in an area that is rich in history so there has got to be someplace where you luck up and can not get hassled while you're hunting.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could always use another AT PRO:tongue3:

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
It's alway good to have at least one area where you can hunt void of people to get over a couple clowns! After you find something exciting you won't really care what someone is yelling at you!
Dont let the man get ya down-- keep swingin!
The at pro is supposed to be a perty sweet lil machine!!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might also get out really early for a few hours or go closer to dark and take a headlamp, I have detected till 10:30 at night more than once in public places with good results. Its often a much better time to hunt here in the hot southern summers. Here most of the parks close to the public at 10 pm so take head of that. Lots less peeps out then, just use a low setting on a led headlamp, when your eyes adjust you can see just fine, however people driving by wont notice you as much. Also wear dark blue, green or black, definitely no white shirts. :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt and dont worry about what anyone says, it is extremely rare anyone says a word to me other than "finding anything good"..............I do hunt city and county parks as well as beaches.... I have a CWL and also carry most times unless hunting beaches durring the day and going into the water..........

OP
OP
A

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and 350,BH Tracker IV and now the Garrett AT Pro and White's VX3.
I think the biggest frustration is I usually have my kids with me. Luckily this time they stayed home with mom.

I don't want them to see dad shove a club up someones butt or be punked out.

Sent from my Galaxy note 2 using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread