mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, well the rain briefly let up and I got out in the yard to try out the 250. Actually when I got it on Thursday I did get out in the yard and discovered that all metal mode and steel toed boots don't mix. Was really tired and went right back inside so I don't count that as a hunt really. Anyway today I learned that I'm not yet ready for a real hunt as I had some problems understanding what the 250 was telling me. I practiced a little with a few coins I set out in the yard and I can find coins on the surface, no problem. I buried a few and had trouble at around 6". I couldn't get a signal that deep. Soil was topsoil and it was wet. Increased sensitivity to max and still nothing. Anyway, at lesser depths I felt pretty good about the signals I was getting and started hunting. Over the planted coins I got a beep with each swing but as I was searching, I would get a beep on the first pass but not on the back swing. Not sure how to interpret this. But eventually I got over several targets where I got a beep with each pass, back and forth and thought I had zeroed in on where to dig. This was in coin mode and the indicated depth was 6 to 8 inches but after removing some soil and checking with pin pointer I wasn't finding anything. Then, with the dirt out of the hole, and resweaping the area with the 250, I was no longer getting a signal. Not sure what to make of this. Switching to all metal mode, I got some shallow hits, indicating iron at 2 to 4 inches and using the pin pointer, was able to dig my first roofing nails. These nails were actually only an inch down, if that. Any advice or insight anyone could provide would be appreciated as I learn to use the 250.

Upvote 0

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to the hobby also, I have been getting a lot better hitting targets that the machine detects. I believe coins are harder to detect if they're sitting at an angle. That being said, I would stay in all metal mode till you can figure out what the machine is telling you. I often go back and watch the video's on Garrett's page, just to refresh my memory and keep me from trying jump ahead of myself. I have yet to hunt anywhere other than my yard and some local beaches, but I'm hoping to hit some more places this weekend as soon as the weather breaks! :BangHead: HH!!

catfisherman

Mar 19, 2013
Only dig the repeats most times one swing hits are junk that ace 250 will pull some coins I started out with one..

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to dinner tonight and when I got home and pulled my keys out of my pocket, the dime that I had been using earlier, went flying and I couldn't see where it landed. Grabbed the 250 out of the shed and found it in about 5 seconds. My first win.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try & watch all the videos on the Ace 250 on YouTube,maybe twice& remember your a newbie,it takes a while, also I don't have steel toe boot thing,but I have a wedding band problem when I use my pro pointer.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might try & watch all the videos on the Ace 250 on YouTube,maybe twice& remember your a newbie,it takes a while, also I don't have steel toe boot thing,but I have a wedding band problem when I use my pro pointer.

Yes, I've been doing that and will continue. Haven't seen them all yet. I'm patient and realize I've got a lot to learn. And yes, the pin pointer picks up my ring, lol. Thanks to all who have responded.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a few hours swinging today and found my first coins and a bunch of junk. Getting more comfortable with the machine and realizing a few things I'm going to need to buy to make my hunts better. When I got the detector it came with a bunch of extras including a small plastic trowel/scoop thing that isn't much good at dealing with roots. Blister on my palm digging plugs. Need something better. Also, since I can't wear my steel toe work boots ill need another pair for detecting. Sneakers got pretty wet with the morning dew. I'm really glad I got the pin pointer also as it really helps. Here's a couple pics of today's finds.

Attachments

• image-2307492549.jpg
    image-2307492549.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image-4194450305.jpg
    image-4194450305.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 75

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread