DFX stability question

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All detectors will sound something like a strangled duck. You will get beeps all the time even when you are holding the coil still. It is then time to back off the gain and sensitivity. You will actually detect targets better with less sens. an more gain. There is a balance with proper ground balance thrown in too. You can reset the detector to the default factory settings.

HH,
Sandman

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
with the DFX, I've noticed that you might as well be hunting with a shovel when the sens and gain is to high for the condishions. A good way to find the correct settings, it to set the PAG to 4 and if the detector freaks out the drop it to 3 and so on. a perfectly smoothly running machine( after a ground balance) should have no breaks in the audio threshold, and no bars, or Icons flashing on the screen. I allways start with mt detector ma max settings and try to find the highest level with stability.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
get the book "digging deeper with the DFX"... cant remember the author. There is a "flow chart" image in the book that was worth the price of the entire book. I copied one and laminated it to the bottom of my DFX. It explains exactly how to adjust the PAG and sens to get the most out of the machine...

i'll see if i have a copy of it floating around. If not, i think it was posted at www.dfxonly.com
steve

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
spez401 said:
get the book "digging deeper with the DFX"... cant remember the author. There is a "flow chart" image in the book that was worth the price of the entire book. I copied one and laminated it to the bottom of my DFX. It explains exactly how to adjust the PAG and sens to get the most out of the machine...

i'll see if i have a copy of it floating around. If not, i think it was posted at www.dfxonly.com
steve
by Jeff Foster

the book is really good

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got that book a couple of weeks ago and it seems like it is going to be a good one but I'm not sure I'm really smart enough to understand some of the more technical stuff ;)

What Sandman says about backing off the sensitivity will also work very well. I was having stability problems recently at a beach. I turned the sensitivity down, but also was able to turn the PAG up. Found a bunch of coins in areas that I knew had been hunted because I moved in after the others left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread