New member need help choosing 1st detector!!!

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Looking for my 1st detector!!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My budget is under $500 I will be looking for coins and jewelry on the beach, local parks and maybe antique items out in some historical areas of town.

I heard good things about the Tesoro Vaquero and the Garret AT Pro are these the Ford vs. Chevy for the under $500 option ??

What is the BEST detector in my price range is there something else I should consider...?

Or do certain people like certain functions/brand features for specific detecting?

Thanks for helping the NEWBIE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dear Enthusiast, if you are serious about detecting $500 is not much, remember the purchasing power of the dollar has severely declined over the last decade. If you are just wanting to get your feet wet then a cheap detector may be the route to follow, but you will need , yes crave or want an upgrade very soon if you are serious. So I would suggest saving up for a while to get a decent detector or looking for a used one from someone you trust . Also on the "Best detector" thing this is a "Grand illusion" so don't be fooled by any hype, the detector operators decisions are crucial for any hunt to be successful.
Hope this helps.

Sincerly ,
CARM

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco can beat any deal big boy can give you, Call me 888.535.5926 ext 172

I got admit they do have a great deal right now for fathers day buy a Atpro or f75 or a e-trac & get a bh pilot cant beat that

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro probably best bet all around detector. If you change your mind in a few weeks or months as I did, you can sell it in less than 2 hours on EBay for almost what you paid for it, if they're still having back order issues at Garrett. Thanks to TV shows like diggers!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHITES,MINELAB,FISHER!!! Don't even bother looking anywhere else............ SERIOUSLY don't bother!!

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fisher F2, with extras Kellyco. I just ordered one for my stepson. Includes two search coils, a pinpointer, and headphones. Great deal: $229.00 no shipping charges.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F2, with extras Kellyco. I just ordered one for my stepson. Includes two search coils, a pinpointer, and headphones. Great deal: $229.00 no shipping charges.

Doesnt sound like u can beat a deal like that

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a great choice and what I would recommend to anyone starting out on a similar budget.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Welcome Enthusiast,
All the detectors mentioned will bring you lots of fun. However, if you live in San Diego I can see lots of time spent detecting the
beaches. Get a WATERPROOF detector. Salt spray can get inside the electronics someday and ruin a detector if not waterproof.
That leaves the Garrett AT PRO as your choice of the above mentioned machines. Do NOT get the AT Gold. It will not balance out
the salt water, even Garrett will tell you that. Though I prefer the Gold in many instances, I prefer the Pro at the beach. All the
other machines will work for parks, ghost towns etc in your price range.
Have fun,
Rich

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
I'd like to point out that at BigBoysHobbies, a sponsor of this site, an AT Pro is $594 including free shipping and Lesche digger.

And you will actually receive it from Bart when you order unlike other dealers left unmentioned with constant back orders.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Kellyco can beat any deal big boy can give you, Call me 888.535.5926 ext 172

Really cause I called you guys after Bart gave me a price and Raul had no interest in even matching the price let alone beating it. Just my experience with Kellyco and from reading the posts not out of the norm. I know you guys are supposed to be one of the best but you need to work on the customer service end a little. If you want to private message me I can give you all the details of my experience.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And you will actually receive it from Bart when you order unlike other dealers left unmentioned with constant back orders.

I couldn't agree more, Bart is great to deal with as is Tom at Miller MDZ! I had great experiences with both these dealers! :thumbsup:

FYI... both have great F2 packages for $215!!

Last edited:

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it is your first detector think about going with the Garrett Ace 350. Get yourself Garrett Pro Pointer and a good digger. I would think you'd be way under the $500.

Ejmrods

Jul 25, 2012
Ridge NY and Sarasota Fl
Detector(s) used
V3i, Beach Hunter, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may also go to your local MD shop and see if there is any used units for sale. There is the Internet sites like eBay, Craig's list etc. Most important read, read, and read.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cause I called you guys after Bart gave me a price and Raul had no interest in even matching the price let alone beating it. Just my experience with Kellyco and from reading the posts not out of the norm. I know you guys are supposed to be one of the best but you need to work on the customer service end a little. If you want to private message me I can give you all the details of my experience.

I second that part about customer service! Terribly rude in my experience with KELLYCO which made it my last. Price is just one small part of equation

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
If it is your first detector think about going with the Garrett Ace 350. Get yourself Garrett Pro Pointer and a good digger. I would think you'd be way under the $500.

Thanks. Already have the Ace 350 and just not happy with the lack of a quality discrimination and no ground balance. Really want a VDI machine. Love the Garrett Pro Pointer; couldn't live without it.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
I second that part about customer service! Terribly rude in my experience with KELLYCO which made it my last. Price is just one small part of equation

Right? Bart will meet or beat any price as well as any quality dealer. What good is a beat price if you can't get your equipment for months!!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dealt with kellyco last Night & thats where I bought my new 10x12 sef coil for my v3i & Robert over there was helpful to work with set everything up perfect shipped out today no rudeness have me a better deal cuz im a tnet subscriber no issues at all & I wouldnt have an.issue goin back to do more buisness with them & thats my opinion

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
I just dealt with kellyco last Night & thats where I bought my new 10x12 sef coil for my v3i & Robert over there was helpful to work with set everything up perfect shipped out today no rudeness have me a better deal cuz im a tnet subscriber no issues at all & I wouldnt have an.issue goin back to do more buisness with them & thats my opinion

Hope it works out for you; others here have been told it shipped and did not receive their product. Maybe all the negative remarks about their customer service are finally sinking in. I gave them a weeks worth of chances and that is it. Will only deal with Bart at BigBoys. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill keep all posted for the outcome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread