Whats your strangest or funniest detecting moment?

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a bird fly into me, bouncing off my chest, the other day while detecting. I believe it was a juvenile black bird and hadn't quite mastered flying yet. Lol

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My landlord gave me permission to detect on the "back 40". When he actually saw me out there, he called my cell phone and left a serious message that he owns the mineral rights and if I found any gold or silver nuggets they were his. I called him back and told him that there was no gold in northern Monterey County and he did not have to worry that I would rip him off.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a guy ask me once if my detector could find worms....:tongue3:..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A lady on the beach telling me my detector was bothering her dog. I think she thought it was emitting frequencies or something that "only dogs hear" ?

Another time a buddy and I were detecting at a rural country yard's home, where a stage stop had once stood. We were standing/hunting inside a picket fence, on the interior of the yard. A truck pulled over to the side of the road, on the other side of the fence, and the guy motioned for me to come over. So I took off my headphones, and approached the fence to see what it was he wanted. The following conversation then took place:

Him: "Can you guys come do that at my place when you're done here?"

Me: "Sure, where's your place at?"

Him: "down the road about a mile. How much do you guys charge?"

Me: "We don't charge anything. We just do this for fun. How old is your house?"

Him, with a quizzical look: "Uh... my house was built in 1955, but I would insist on paying you guys"

Me: "uh ... we usually only hunt yards of older homes. 1955 is not too old. And ... no, we don't charge, we just enjoy doing this"

This back and forth conversation continued another minute, and he just couldn't fathom why we were going to do it for free, and couldn't understand what the heck his age of his house had to do with ANYTHING. Nor could I fathom why a perfect stranger was inviting me to come detect at their yard, and whether or not I was going to make time for a yard that wasn't that old. Until ... it finally occurred to both of us .... that he thought we were weed-wacking! Doh! :)

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lady on the beach telling me my detector was bothering her dog. I think she thought it was emitting frequencies or something that "only dogs hear" ?

Another time a buddy and I were detecting at a rural country yard's home, where a stage stop had once stood. We were standing/hunting inside a picket fence, on the interior of the yard. A truck pulled over to the side of the road, on the other side of the fence, and the guy motioned for me to come over. So I took off my headphones, and approached the fence to see what it was he wanted. The following conversation then took place:

Him: "Can you guys come do that at my place when you're done here?"

Me: "Sure, where's your place at?"

Him: "down the road about a mile. How much do you guys charge?"

Me: "We don't charge anything. We just do this for fun. How old is your house?"

Him, with a quizzical look: "Uh... my house was built in 1955, but I would insist on paying you guys"

Me: "uh ... we usually only hunt yards of older homes. 1955 is not too old. And ... no, we don't charge, we just enjoy doing this"

This back and forth conversation continued another minute, and he just couldn't fathom why we were going to do it for free, and couldn't understand what the heck his age of his house had to do with ANYTHING. Nor could I fathom why a perfect stranger was inviting me to come detect at their yard, and whether or not I was going to make time for a yard that wasn't that old. Until ... it finally occurred to both of us .... that he thought we were weed-wacking! Doh! :)

I laughed my ass off reading this!!!! Too funny! Weed whacking! Hahahaha

Dasseldig

Oct 26, 2012
Dassel, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A buddy and I were at a boat landing/picnic area a couple weeks ago. There was a guy on a bike just hanging around and laying on the grass and picnic tables, listening to music on his headphones. I watched him off and on and figured he might have been a few eggs short of a dozen, if you know what I mean. After a while he finally came up to me and was telling me how last week he helped a guy metal detect all day at a park down the road. He was rambling on now about other stuff too, and I was thinking, great I'm stuck with him for awhile. Then he notices my pistol I was wearing on my hip, and says "Oh, I see you got one of those, I guess I'll just leave you alone then." He just turned around and walked away, and I just smiled. So, for all you non gun carrying MD'ers out there, here is a great reason why you should if I ever saw one. :laughing9:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A buddy and I were at a boat landing/picnic area a couple weeks ago. There was a guy on a bike just hanging around and laying on the grass and picnic tables, listening to music on his headphones. I watched him off and on and figured he might have been a few eggs short of a dozen, if you know what I mean. After a while he finally came up to me and was telling me how last week he helped a guy metal detect all day at a park down the road. He was rambling on now about other stuff too, and I was thinking, great I'm stuck with him for awhile. Then he notices my pistol I was wearing on my hip, and says "Oh, I see you got one of those, I guess I'll just leave you alone then." He just turned around and walked away, and I just smiled. So, for all you non gun carrying MD'ers out there, here is a great reason why you should if I ever saw one. :laughing9:
Nah, my Lesche digger gives the same response!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Drove to my buddy's house to meet up for some digging. Later on, at our detecting site, my buddy's wife calls him and says, "there's a chicken walking around in the front yard!"
Turns out, one of my laying hens hitchhiked a ride on the rear axle of my pickup, for a 15-mile, 70 mph ride down the highway, and she's now strutting around my buddy's yard.
Later, we tried to round her up, but she just hopped back up on the rear axle of my pickup for another ride back home.

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hahahaha!!!! I think I'm gonna carry now

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove to my buddy's house to meet up for some digging. Later on, at our detecting site, my buddy's wife calls him and says, "there's a chicken walking around in the front yard!"
Turns out, one of my laying hens hitchhiked a ride on the rear axle of my pickup, for a 15-mile, 70 mph ride down the highway, and she's now strutting around my buddy's yard.
Later, we tried to round her up, but she just hopped back up on the rear axle of my pickup for another ride back home.

Too funny! That's crazy!!! Cool chicken. I'm surprised she has feathers left after driving that far and fast

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoy reading these stories. Great story, Tom. Beeping weed eaters that can pluck pulltabs is the new fad. LoL

I had a lady stop me at a park a few weeks ago and asked it I MD'd for a living. I had to laugh out loud and told her that the last 10 outtings wouldn't even pay for the gas to get here. She looked confused and just walked away.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is such a common joke that I almost didn't post it, but it really happened, after years of passing an unkept grassy spot next to a Hospital parking lot I finally decided to jump out for a few quicky scans, right away this guy wearing a suit comes over to me and I thought for sure I was busted, and then he says to me, he says, "I was parked over there and I've been watching you for a while and I've noticed that you have the quietest weed eater I've ever seen, (a joke I've heard a thousand times). But after an awkward moment of silence with neither one of us laughing, I said, "this is a metal detector". He just nodded his head back and said "Oh?" and I just said "yeah", and he just walked off. In the end I still don't know what he thought.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it wasn't terribly funny at the time, but once I knelt down to dig a target and put my right knee in dog poop, my left knee on a small prickly pear cactus, and got my glove full of fire ants when I stuck it in the hole.

All to dig a lousy pulltab.

I won't repeat my comments.

A friend of mine once dug a dog rabies tag in a local park. Not an uncommon find, right? Except this tag was still attached to a collar, and the collar was... you guessed it... still attached to Fido, or what was left of him! Yikes.

I heard second- or third-hand about somebody digging up an artificial leg, once.

And another guy digging on a beach who found... a metal detector. (It supposedly had a broken shaft, so somebody apparently had themselves a little temper tantrum after the wet salt sand drove their cheapo machine haywire).

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a thread like this was started once before but here's mine again.....about a year ago I found what appears to be a "hooker kit" at the beach. A small, tacky, zippered purse with lipstick, tic tacs, KY jelly, several condoms, and a rolled up joint, inside. Last week I found a black bra on the same section of beach. Seems to be a popular place! I was going to bring it my clubs "show and tell" but my wife wouldn't let me......I think I would have won!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread