The Garret Pro-Pointer is worth every penny.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using the pointer that comes with the F2 since I got it a week ago, and it's been alright, really just good for poking through loose dirt after I pull it out of the ground.

Anyway today my Pro-Pointer came in and I couldn't be happier with it. I can't believe the range. Probably 50% of the holes I dug before getting it ended up empty because I couldn't find the loot with the Fisher pointer. Today I found the object in every single hole I dug! I can't believe it, this is gonna be game changing!

:D

Upvote 0

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will change you forever... lmao!! :headbang:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your new toys!! I have NO experience with Fisher detectors, but have a few tips for you on the Pro Pointer.

First: if it is not sounding off after you stick it in the hole the 1st time or two, and you are "sure" there is something in there...take any coin

press against the spine of Garrett Pro body starting at about the level of the on/off switch (I use my right index finger and turn unit on with my thumb)
slowly slide the coin in the direction of the tip until you JUST START to hear it chirp, then back it off just a tad til silent and hold it there. This increases the sensitivity of the unit. Be sure you don't inadvertently slide the coin forward as you enter the hole.

My unit can detect at between 2 1/2 and 3" with this technique.

Second: it to "DE-SENSITIZE" the unit, for those targets that make the unit sound off as soon as the tip enters the hole.

hold the pointer still while it is beeping, turn it off and quickly back on again. It should now allow you to get it inside the hole to investigate and pin point. Of course don't forget to turn it off and then back on in the "normal" way before the next use.

I found these tips when I purchased mine and still feel like they make a great little tool ,even better! Your mileage may vary. HH

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Marh415. we're neighbors, I'm just a little over the border in SE MA. What kind of hunting do you do?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I loved mine, I wore it out Just sent it In to Get repaired!!! Three years of Abuse but it still would pick up a target just not as well as it did when new!! Red's ace 250 needed to go in for repairs So I Sent in The Propointer along with it!!! I Have read a lot of Good Comments about garrets Service I will Let you all Know What Happens Chug

I Guess Red Is going to Have to Share Hers With Me Until It Gets Back!!!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new toys!! I have NO experience with Fisher detectors, but have a few tips for you on the Pro Pointer.

First: if it is not sounding off after you stick it in the hole the 1st time or two, and you are "sure" there is something in there...take any coin

press against the spine of Garrett Pro body starting at about the level of the on/off switch (I use my right index finger and turn unit on with my thumb)
slowly slide the coin in the direction of the tip until you JUST START to hear it chirp, then back it off just a tad til silent and hold it there. This increases the sensitivity of the unit. Be sure you don't inadvertently slide the coin forward as you enter the hole.

My unit can detect at between 2 1/2 and 3" with this technique.

Second: it to "DE-SENSITIZE" the unit, for those targets that make the unit sound off as soon as the tip enters the hole.

hold the pointer still while it is beeping, turn it off and quickly back on again. It should now allow you to get it inside the hole to investigate and pin point. Of course don't forget to turn it off and then back on in the "normal" way before the next use.

I found these tips when I purchased mine and still feel like they make a great little tool ,even better! Your mileage may vary. HH

I use the second technique quite often but the first one is more of a cool youtube trick than a practical method to use in the field IMO... If you don't hear anything when putting the pinpointer in the hole the first time, dig a little deeper... if you go through the trouble of walking a coin down the edge, etc. then having it beep when returning to the hole, you'll be digging deeper anyway, right?8-)

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great tool and just like a detector it takes a lil while to learn all the tricks you can do with it.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the second technique quite often but the first one is more of a cool youtube trick than a practical method to use in the field IMO... If you don't hear anything when putting the pinpointer in the hole the first time, dig a little deeper... if you go through the trouble of walking a coin down the edge, etc. then having it beep when returning to the hole, you'll be digging deeper anyway, right?8-)

I guess it depends on how you look at it. The whole point of a pin pointer is to tell you with more precision, the location of a target, that your detector and eyes, could not. Knowing "exactly" where in the side of hole my target actually lies vs. where I thought it was, allows me to focus any additional amount of effort, in the right place. Can make for faster retrieval and help prevent scratching up a find.

The procedure might sound complicated, but I tuck the coin in cuff of my glove and it takes me 7-8 seconds to do.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advice here. Here's an additional tip. If you believe you hit on a shallow target with your detector, b4 digging the plug, use the pro pointer to zero in on the target. With the target zeroed, you can then cut a plug without fear of damaging the target or you can choose to pop it out with a probe. Less soil damage as well.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best accessory $ can buy.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Marh415. we're neighbors, I'm just a little over the border in SE MA. What kind of hunting do you do?
I'm not sure there is a way to describe the kind of hunting I do, I guess you could call it Relic hunting! :icon_scratch: I just hunted my second time in wooded area that's had an interesting history and found an old English half penny that I'm still researching. I've hunted some local beaches and recreation areas too, but since the weather has started to bring more people outdoors, I've been keeping a low profile! 8-) How about you?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
I love my Pro-Pointer mr helton.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything 2" or so I always pin point on the surface. Then just stick the Lesche in and pop, there it is
Good advice here. Here's an additional tip. If you believe you hit on a shallow target with your detector, b4 digging the plug, use the pro pointer to zero in on the target. With the target zeroed, you can then cut a plug without fear of damaging the target or you can choose to pop it out with a probe. Less soil damage as well.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using the pointer that comes with the F2 since I got it a week ago, and it's been alright, really just good for poking through loose dirt after I pull it out of the ground.

Anyway today my Pro-Pointer came in and I couldn't be happier with it. I can't believe the range. Probably 50% of the holes I dug before getting it ended up empty because I couldn't find the loot with the Fisher pointer. Today I found the object in every single hole I dug! I can't believe it, this is gonna be game changing!

:D[/QUOTE Of the gazillion things I have purchased for this beloved hobby, the pro pointer was the best purchase and the happiest I've been, than with any product I've bought!!! (detectors included)

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi finders keepers i am in ne mass i beach and relic hunt let me know if you are ever in the area

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trick with the coin for increasing sensitivity oh it works & doesnt take as Long as,some may think.it helps

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The trick with the coin for increasing sensitivity oh it works & doesnt take as Long as,some may think.it helps

It works wonderfully, and lets you know precisely where to dig so you can make small plugs and find your target quicker. I actually wear a silver ring or two on my right hand under my glove, and I just use that to tune it. I use that trick all the time on targets in the 4-5" range and it gives me a chirp over the target to I know just where to dig. Don't get me wrong, I can pinpoint pretty good with the AT Pro, but this gets me within a much tighter range than a detector's pinpoint feature can.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works wonderfully, and lets you know precisely where to dig so you can make small plugs and find your target quicker. I actually wear a silver ring or two on my right hand under my glove, and I just use that to tune it. I use that trick all the time on targets in the 4-5" range and it gives me a chirp over the target to I know just where to dig. Don't get me wrong, I can pinpoint pretty good with the AT Pro, but this gets me within a much tighter range than a detector's pinpoint feature can.

Exactly & im glad the guy I know showed me how to do it any info is better then none HH

EasyriderTX

Apr 4, 2013
DFW area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Delta 4K pinpoints pretty good and the Pro Pointer is the icing on the cake, found my first ring today using that combo

KOBBY

Jun 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Delta 4K pinpoints pretty good and the Pro Pointer is the icing on the cake, found my first ring today using that combo

I originally bought a bounty hunter pin pointer for about $50 and must say it did NOT do the job that the Garrett pinpointer could do. I spent the extra money a few weeks later on the Garrett Pro pointer and have NOT been disappointed. You get what you pay for i guess...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread