Newbie with a Teknetics 4000

Herbie1234

Jun 10, 2013
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger I MD for several years and dropped out of the hobby because of Army life. Now retired and working when the need arises, I have started it up again. I am excited and recently purchased a new Teknetics Delta 4000 (it arrives Thursday). Based off of my research this MD offers what I need/want and what would fit in my "start-up" budget. I have been looking at several spots to start with which include an elementary school built in 1913 (with 5+ acres of land behind it) and an old picnic grove which was established in 1931 and is still used today. My question is - what is the best approach to ask for permission on private lands? As a hunter, asking permission for use of their land often comes with several years of an established friendship of some sorts. I have been noticing that in this forum and others the best approach is a simple "cold call" to someones home. How do you approach the topic - MD'ing and are there specific stipulations that are discussed before you wait for an answer? I have my eye on several farm areas and homes that have been empty or look run down and I know that these areas date back to 1880-1905. Is it as simple as knocking on the door and introducing yourself and explaining what you intend to do? Any help would be much appreciated.

EH

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this is your first posting - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: New York for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
3rd - I always carry a few good finds (coins, etc.) and introduce myself, show what I find, promise their land will not be disturbed (even show a towel I use to place the dirt on) and ask if they would like to watch. I am sure other's will pipe in shortly with other approaches...

Orvin

Jun 5, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Herbie1234
I'm new at metal detecting myself, just bought a Bounty Hunter 505 if I like the hobby may up-grade later on but the 505 seems to have everything I need to enjoy my outings. I have noted the same thing about the "cold call" approach. Guess it depends on the people in your state, I haven't hunted any (private property) yet but I would assure the property owner you won't mess up their land and assure them you will fill in any holes you dig you can even show them or have them go with you on your hunt maybe a good idea. In VA there are a lot of Civil War relics and I am sure there are some on private lands I'm just in MDing to enjoy the hobby.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say welcome the both of ya & ur off to a good start good detectors & a plan to start , ur also now apart of a great site thst offers alot of info HH

OP
OP
H

Herbie1234

Jun 10, 2013
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice!! Thank you for #1 and great idea for #2 and excellent advice for #3. I didn't think of a towel for the dirt already dug. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread