Whites mxt 300

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about my whites mxt 300. I was at the lake using it on a beach in the off season. I had the gain set on 9, the dual control set on first arrow around 3 1/2, and in coin & jewelry mode. My switch in the forward position to help cancel out pull tabs (which didn't seems to help). As I was swinging the unit looking down I see a gold necklace and swing over it nothing! I pick it up and look it over to find it is 14k, so I try it again nothing! Is this normal? Do I need to turn it down even lower? I was using a eclipse 5.3 high trash head. I look back on all the places I have been with this unit and wonder now how much I have missed.

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nicely put Tom. I get readings from assorted sizes and shaped tabs from 18 into the 40's. I never thought about the year the detector was made, that would probably be a much more narrow band back then! Maybe that's why i remember finding less tabs and more good targets in the 80's with my 5000/D. :)

OP
OP
okla. prospector

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know when I have it in the forward position it will still pick up some pull tabs.

ArizFlash

Sep 19, 2008
North Central WA
Detector(s) used
Whites - V3 i , MXT Pro, XLT, IDX
Fisher F70, Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know when I have it in the forward position it will still pick up some pull tabs.

Oklahoma. Pros.

I went back through you questions and didn't see what coil are you were using. If it's the 300 (12") coil it won't pick up the necklace. You need the smaller Eclipse 4x6 Shooter coil or the 6x10 DD coil. I wear a similar 14k necklace and with my 6x8 SEF DD coil I can pick it up at about 1.5" in both C&J and Relic mode when the chain is bunched up. If it is strung out straight I only get a slight whisper in the Prospecting mode when the coil is touching the chain.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

What TYPE of pulltabs? The classic tabs with the beaver tail? Those "classic" types with the beaver tail dis-attached? The beaver tail alone? Square tabs? Those miniature "tree sweet" brand type tabs? etc....

OP
OP
okla. prospector

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newer square tabs are the ones it doesn't pick up and that's not every time. But will hit on the old beaver tails all day long I would say that out of 10 it would pick up 6 of them

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The newer square tabs are the ones it doesn't pick up and that's not every time. But will hit on the old beaver tails all day long I would say that out of 10 it would pick up 6 of them

Well then okla.prospector, then there's your answer: Those beaver tails, when broke off from the ring portion of the tab, are therefore no longer a "tab" signal. Since it's just a portion of the tab, it reads down around nickel. And thus, you can't eliminate them when nixing out tabs, yet accepting nickels. They will be accepted, because you're accepting nickels.

There are some machines with super-refined TID scales where there might be a difference (in the exact placement of the TID cross-hairs) between beaver tails and nickels. But they'd be very close. Still though, there are machines where you can pass beaver tails and get nickels, but only when they're shallow and obvious. If you're chasing deep whispers, then ...... they TIDs are too close to call.

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same machine and live in OKC. If you want to schedule some time to get together and see what I've found with my settings let me know.

OP
OP
okla. prospector

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DOKC that sounds great! I would love to get together and made go hit some parks or something. I'm have family coming over this weekend, not sure what you schedule is like?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having used an MXT and other detectors for a good many years, I can comment on the fact that tuning out tabs will definitely cost you gold and the comments on the gold chains are accurate as well, although a bit heftier clasp or other larger piece may help in some instances. As to the MXT, you have an excellent machine there and the more you use it and get to know it, the better you'll do with it. If you haven't already, get one of the smaller coils for the trashy areas. Really makes a difference. The coil selection is one of the MXT"s strong suits IMHO.
luvsdux

OP
OP
okla. prospector

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one of the thing they show me and told me to run it at around 2, buried the necklace and I picked it up on my MXT 300. The more I use and learn about this MXT the more I like it. I do have the 5.3 eclipse coil for it and the 12" that came with it. I was having some problems with the 12" coil, it got were it wouldn't let me pinpoint a target and put the 5.3 on it. I like it so well that I haven't put the 12" coil back on to see if it was just a trashy area or a problem with the 12" coil. I guess I should put it back on and try it again.
Thanks
Ok prospector

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
set the discrim knob at 3 . run it in relic mode with trigger forward . dig everything in high tone. coin and jewelry mode is ok but with pull tabs notched you will still dig pull tabs and maybe miss gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread