wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do't know much about the mxt only white's ive had is the coinmaster pro then i got atp and i like it a lot very good detector i went back over a few places since ive had it and found a lot of deep coins that i missed with the coinmaster pro

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as Wildman I've never used the MXT but I can speak for the AT Pro being a great machine. If you have a local dealer near you I would suggest going and doing a test run with the AT Pro to get a good feel for it.

I'm sure there's plenty of comparisons between the two available on the net, video as well as debate of personal experiences.

Chris

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Crafty One - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own an mxt pro. Love it. I am going to buy another detector. Thinking of buying the garrett at pro. Anyone out there own both? I there much difference in the two? Other then waterproof for the at pro. Feedback would be appreciated. Good luck hunting!:hello2:

I have both. I've been using my MXT Pro for a year and it's a great machine. I've only had my AT Pro for less than a month and it is now my favorite detector (taking the place of the MXTP).

I have no doubt that the MXTP is the deeper of the two. It's also better balanced and it's build screams quality. The coil plug is easy to manage as is the mic plug as you already know. The O'ring plugs on the ATP are a bit awkward to seat and their location is more than a little stupid! The MXTP's chattiness can be annoying and it's pin point scream painful. I can't believe Whites hasn't put a vol control it!
I find the ATP easier to listen to by far even when running zero disc and actually prefer running that way. No way I could listen to the MXTP w/zero disc!
Swapping out the stock coil for the 5x8 on the ATP changed the whole demeanor of the ATP. Lightens up the front end and balances it out really nice. Also the added separation of the 5x8 is pretty incredible with minimal depth loss. If you get the ATP, get the 5x8. I haven't put the stock one back on since!
The tone roll on the ATP is also pretty amazing. If you dig bottle caps, it's on you, not the machine. I found the MXTP to be a bottle cap magnet. Iron audio on the Garrett is another great feature. there are some really good vids out there showing and explaining it. I love it!
Nickel Nickels & more Nickels...the ATP is just tuned into em WAY better than the MXTP. I've dug more nickels in the last month with the ATP than I've ever dug with the MXTP. The upside to that, it's tuned into those gold rings and other jewelry pieces. The down side, it sounds off well on certain foils and aluminum trash. I find the MXTP to be better on beaver tail pull tabs.
I think they are both great but I think the ATP's audio is much better than the MXTP's and it makes it easier on the user to decipher.

Here is my ATP transformation...http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/356743-patiently-awaiting-new-pro.html
and this...http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/359921-my-new-favorite-detector.html

Plus it waterproof! You don't have to run for cover when it starts to rain.
Get one, you won't regret it. And if you do, PM me I'm sure we could come to some mutual trade/agreement. I wouldn't mind having two!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both. I've been using my MXT Pro for a year and it's a great machine. I've only had my AT Pro for less than a month and it is now my favorite detector (taking the place of the MXTP).

I have no doubt that the MXTP is the deeper of the two. It's also better balanced and it's build screams quality. The coil plug is easy to manage as is the mic plug as you already know. The O'ring plugs on the ATP are a bit awkward to seat and their location is more than a little stupid! The MXTP's chattiness can be annoying and it's pin point scream painful. I can't believe Whites hasn't put a vol control it!
I find the ATP easier to listen to by far even when running zero disc and actually prefer running that way. No way I could listen to the MXTP w/zero disc!
Swapping out the stock coil for the 5x8 on the ATP changed the whole demeanor of the ATP. Lightens up the front end and balances it out really nice. Also the added separation of the 5x8 is pretty incredible with minimal depth loss. If you get the ATP, get the 5x8. I haven't put the stock one back on since!
The tone roll on the ATP is also pretty amazing. If you dig bottle caps, it's on you, not the machine. I found the MXTP to be a bottle cap magnet. Iron audio on the Garrett is another great feature. there are some really good vids out there showing and explaining it. I love it!
Nickel Nickels & more Nickels...the ATP is just tuned into em WAY better than the MXTP. I've dug more nickels in the last month with the ATP than I've ever dug with the MXTP. The upside to that, it's tuned into those gold rings and other jewelry pieces. The down side, it sounds off well on certain foils and aluminum trash. I find the MXTP to be better on beaver tail pull tabs.
I think they are both great but I think the ATP's audio is much better than the MXTP's and it makes it easier on the user to decipher.

Here is my ATP transformation...http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/356743-patiently-awaiting-new-pro.html
and this...http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/359921-my-new-favorite-detector.html

Plus it waterproof! You don't have to run for cover when it starts to rain.
Get one, you won't regret it. And if you do, PM me I'm sure we could come to some mutual trade/agreement. I wouldn't mind having two!

WOW impressed pretty well said fella

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the idea of the ATP. That said does anyone have regular experience on the beach in the surf line/wet sand and how the ATP performs in those conditions?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I waslookin at the at pro for along time. I decided on a minelab safari, still would like to get an at pro to hunt in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread