Had the opportunity to share the hobby with a young girl at the park today!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my friend out to some parks by his house for his first time (he loved it by the way). While we were there, a man and his daughter who looked around 8 approached us and he said that she always talks about how much she wants a metal detector, and how he couldn't understand it.

I took a few minutes to show her how it worked, then let her try for a little bit. She found a wheat penny!

Anyway she spent the next 10 minutes just following me around and asking me questions and watching me dig. I loved being able to share my new hobby with a young person with so much interest! Just thought this story was worth sharing because honestly it was the highlight of my trip today.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent opportunity to share and inspire the adventures in metal detecting. Good job! :icon_thumright:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! I have been getting "shadows" lately also. Kids love a treasure hunt

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome!! I can't get my son into it but wish I could. It was nice her dad was there . I don't really talk to kids if their alone, don't want the cops called on me . It is always fun to show someone that really wants to hunt .

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always thought of it as customer service for the hobby. Good service you have a customer for life.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome kids do like the thought of buried treasure its a great relaxing hobby & teaches u quite a bit history for 1 great job :)

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story! Perhaps when she gets older she'll be the next generation detectorist. Maybe even sharing this story with kids that approach her as she's digg'n our clad.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my friend out to some parks by his house for his first time (he loved it by the way). While we were there, a man and his daughter who looked around 8 approached us and he said that she always talks about how much she wants a metal detector, and how he couldn't understand it.

I took a few minutes to show her how it worked, then let her try for a little bit. She found a wheat penny!

Anyway she spent the next 10 minutes just following me around and asking me questions and watching me dig. I loved being able to share my new hobby with a young person with so much interest! Just thought this story was worth sharing because honestly it was the highlight of my trip today.

That's awesome that she actually found something cool!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
My wife and I detected before we had kids. We always laughed at the kids that would shadow you in parks because they were fascinated by the hobby.
Now that our kids are around 10 years old, I took out my XLT for a spin with the family.
I realized that I wanted to upgrade machines, so I am looking at an etrac.

My son wants a detector, so I am looking at a Xterra 705.
My daughter wants one too, so a Tesoro Cibola.
My wife wants a new detector, so probably an MXT.

New pinpointers all around, headphones, looks like around a $3000 outlay.

On the plus side, there will be 4 people finding coins to pay them all off!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daaaaamb ur gonna make a vendor very happy out of curiosity u have a xlt & ur wife may want a mxt what made u think about the etrac verse mayb a v3i there awesome well I think so

Orvin

Jun 5, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think anytime you have to teach a young person something new and exciting it great, I am a retired graphic artist but for one summer taught art classes for our city parks and rec and another time taught photography at a local school. Way to go it's a great image for our hobby

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Christo,

I know, gonna send a vendor on vacation, right?

As far as the choice of an eTrac, it is a tough choice.

I think that they are both great machines. I have had few issues with the XLT, just had a coil go out on it.

I guess I just want to see how green the grass is over there.

So I submit to you guys out there: If choosing between the two, which way would you go, and why?

I always enjoy seeing what the consensus is.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya ive done my research on it to befor I got my v3i my reasons were the versitility of the v3i u can make & turn it into any detector to detect any place u go to changing things is endless they both r multi frequency detectors which is great but the v3i uses 3 at the same time the etrac will choose the best frequencey from its Bank of frequencies to the screen for the user to c there is an.online site u can do a straight up comparison side by side test to c what they both have verse each other it is tough they both have ups & downs to each other good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread