Detecting Canadian Clad Coins

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple of days ago my brother dug a 80's Canadian quarter. He was expecting trash when he dug it because the tone wasn't steady and his VDI was jumping all over. Once out of the ground his GTI 2500 still wasn't getting any kind of steady signal.
He called me over and I ran my AT Pro over the coin with the same results he got. VDI was all over the board as were the tones. I also checked it with my MXT Pro with the same results.

I have never seen a coin respond this way. This quarter is 99.9% Nickel. I would think that it should have rang up as SOMETHING no matter what its composition but no! Just scratchy and jumpy on three different machines. Nothing to indicate anything other than trash!

What gives? Does all Canadian clad act this way? (being 99.9%, isn't clad I know)

*edit* Each detector was set with zero disc while checking this out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, this is tough......My ego wants to just devastate this thread!
So, I'll just be factual with no jabs, sneering, sarcasm, etc.
First of all, the '66 is a demon with our clad. Gives a solid clack, clack for all nickle based coins and even a decent signal on the steel crap.
My base minimum on a clad hunt is around $40 and I've had several hunts where I've found around $80.
I've hit the hundred mark at least a dozen times and my all time best was $146.30 in 6 hours.
Another time, $340 in two days.
I can go into any place and pluck out all the nickles up to twoonies and leave the pennies behind.
Being a relic hunter, I don't get much of a thrill from new change but it's still satisfying popping up a $1 or $2 coin.
Especially when I hit a spill. I've hit some nice spills with 4 or 5 twoonies and a bunch of loonies all in one hole or scoop.
Worthless play money?
Tell that to my buddy who primarily clad hunts with an average of $4,0000 to $6,0000 a season in change.
And we have short seasons!
He marks everything down in his journal and I've had to drive him to the bank a few times to cash in his change.
This post was not to make Americans jealous.
Most Canadians have problems finding our clad, as detectors are American made and made for American coins.
Some have learned the signals on their machines but don't consistently find all the clad in the places they hunt.
Some American detectors are better than others at finding our clad. Tesoro and old fishers do a great job.
Other than whites, I can't speak for any other detectors. I can only speak for what I have used.
Sorry fella, you're laughing at our coins but who do you think is really laughing here?
Laughing all the way to the bank! :laughing7:
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok thanks. enjoy!
I'd love to pull $40-80 every time I went out too. $40-60k annually that's awesome...must be holey pocket capital of the world!

Last edited:

foiledagain

Greenie
Jun 25, 2013
British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Current detector is a Tesoro compadre
Ex ace 250 user
tecnetics d 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz, yep ya gotta love the 1 & 2 $ coin spills . What part of Canada are you in ? i am near Vancouver BC. and really only park hunt as i have not yet pulled anything from a beach here except bottle caps and hair pins . so what tesoro would you recommend . i am using a borrowed teknetics d4000 now and its way better than the ace250 could ever hope to be . will be buying in the next week or two ,cheers

SaskSteve

May 12, 2013
Saskatchewan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thanks. enjoy!
I'd love to pull $40-80 every time I went out too. $40-60k annually that's awesome...must be holey pocket capital of the world!

No kidding. I'm Canadian too, and up here we use debit cards more than "real" money. I find this forum a lot like my 12volt forums... Someone seems to be better and faster than everyone else, and isn't afraid to tell you all about it. There must be A LOT of wealthy kids out there, with moms that don't know how to sew.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops! I meant 6 to 8 thousand! Doh!
A few more details.......
When I clad hunt, I hit up several spots in 8 to 10 hours. I rarely hunt less than 8 hrs when I go out.
I do not dig pennies, or the usual junk when one wants to find gold. Straight coins.
The $146.30 came right after a weekend rock festival where people sat in sand.
The $340 was after a winter storm on the West Coast and the beach was carved out.
My other big amounts were from special places that accumulate big amounts.
My buddy that averages all that dough, practically hunts every single day.
He uses a '66 as well.
People often put down things they don't understand.
I for one, am very glad we have the coins we do and a detector that's killer on them.
Call those coins what you will but they have helped pay my bills.
Believe me or not, I don't really care.
:hello:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops! I meant 6 to 8 thousand! Doh!
A few more details.......
When I clad hunt, I hit up several spots in 8 to 10 hours. I rarely hunt less than 8 hrs when I go out.
I do not dig pennies, or the usual junk when one wants to find gold. Straight coins.
The $146.30 came right after a weekend rock festival where people sat in sand.
The $340 was after a winter storm on the West Coast and the beach was carved out.
My other big amounts were from special places that accumulate big amounts.
My buddy that averages all that dough, practically hunts every single day.
He uses a '66 as well.
People often put down things they don't understand.
I for one, am very glad we have the coins we do and a detector that's killer on them.
Call those coins what you will but they have helped pay my bills.
Believe me or not, I don't really care.
:hello:

Oh come on now what ur saying is basically fantasy there are only so many spots u can go & to keep pulling that much out consistantly really. I know there r some out there that embelish a little but this takes the cake I mean listen to what ur telling here u dont dig any junk ever, u dont dig pennies,only gold , big # clad & in 8 hours u clear more then ur average workin guy a day. Its just to hard to beleive im sorry thats alot of holes to many variables,and what u clear a place out then a,day later another $80 idk Man

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh come on now what ur saying is basically fantasy there are only so many spots u can go & to keep pulling that much out consistantly really. I know there r some out there that embelish a little but this takes the cake I mean listen to what ur telling here u dont dig any junk ever, u dont dig pennies,only gold , big # clad & in 8 hours u clear more then ur average workin guy a day. Its just to hard to beleive im sorry thats alot of holes to many variables,and what u clear a place out then a,day later another $80 idk Man

I'm also a relic hunter that could really give two farts if I find a gold ring compared to some nice relics of some artifacts that are thousands of years older than any coin you'll ever dig up in North America. 95 percent of the time I'm swinging in the middle of nowhere searching for that past and not some gas money. Some of us aren't in this hobby for the cash, gold, or silver.... Although a natural silver nugget is nice once in awhile. I'm speaking for myself and in no way am trying to speak for my fellow Canuck Muddyhandz.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also a relic hunter that could really give two farts if I find a gold ring compared to some nice relics of some artifacts that are thousands of years older than any coin you'll ever dig up in North America. 95 percent of the time I'm swinging in the middle of nowhere searching for that past and not some gas money. Some of us aren't in this hobby for the cash, gold, or silver.... Although a natural silver nugget is nice once in awhile. I'm speaking for myself and in no way am trying to speak for my fellow Canuck Muddyhandz.

Are u serious first of all u dont know anything about what I dig & if u saw any of my posts Ud know im more of a relic hunter then a coin shooter I never said I was in this hobby for gold or Cash im in it cuz I like history I like being the one who found that one peice that hasnt been touched in so & so years u should really get ur facts in order befor comparing urself thinking ur better then anyone else here I quoted the other guy cuz to ur average person finding absolutly no junk no pennies & finding more clad in face value everytime he goes out then ur average person working a full time job, so sorry if I find it just little embelished

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are u serious first of all u dont know anything about what I dig & if u saw any of my posts Ud know im more of a relic hunter then a coin shooter I never said I was in this hobby for gold or Cash im in it cuz I like history I like being the one who found that one peice that hasnt been touched in so & so years u should really get ur facts in order befor comparing urself thinking ur better then anyone else here I quoted the other guy cuz to ur average person finding absolutly no junk no pennies & finding more clad in face value everytime he goes out then ur average person working a full time job, so sorry if I find it just little embelished

I'm not too sure that u like da history cuz if u did u would know that a 56 Canadian Cent is made of copper and that's why it rang in so nice. I don't really give a hoot about what type of hunting you do. May I remind you that you were the one to bring up the whole fantasy thing and basically call someone a liar. No one could ever find a ton of clad if they were smart enough to head to a spot where there were tons of people having a good time and being the first one to detect there? :tongue3:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not too sure that u like da history cuz if u did u would know that a 56 Canadian Cent is made of copper and that's why it rang in so nice. I don't really give a hoot about what type of hunting you do. May I remind you that you were the one to bring up the whole fantasy thing and basically call someone a liar. No one could ever find a ton of clad if they were smart enough to head to a spot where there were tons of people having a good time and being the first one to detect there? :tongue3:

Yup ur right I dont like history I just make stories up & I dont recall saying anything bad about the 56 canadian penny,I just said I found one period. If u wanna sit here and say ur basically a perfect metal detectorist go head & u do that ok i dont have time to sit here & go back & fourth with bickering on how good u think.u are & as of fantacy ya i said that its a little hard to beleive

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said anything about finding gold rings. I said I don't dig those junk signals in order to find gold, just the coins.
Meaning, I spend those 8 hours just digging clad.
This year, I went to my usual ski hill and found around $100 in change. What's so hard to believe?
I found 14 twoonies, 37 loonies, over $20 in quarters, tons of dimes and a few bucks in nickles.
My buddy did a winter festival site (during the winter) and pulled out $176 in two days.
He was working the wood chips in each tent and the sliding area.
Call me liar. I don't need no moderators to defend me on this.
I never once laughed at some American's clad total but if you're gonna put down our coins, then expect a whooping!
You have no idea!
:laughing7:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised I actually found these pics on my hard drive as I only have relics usually.

This is from detecting straight snow at a snowboard jump area during the early spring time.

P1100707.JPG

Yeah, it looks like clean change. Look really close and you'll see each coin is jagged from the snow grooming machines.

Here's another time searching the grass just after the snow melted......

P1100711.JPG

I stack my loonies and twoonies 10 high and the quarters 4 high to make a dollar.

Here's over $80 in the bag. That day I found a bunch of silver coins and one gold ring as well.

P1110030.JPG

It's in my twinkle case if anyone wants to see. I'm not too picture happy right now since I'm not showing these finds out of excitement. It's a buzz kill if you have to show things just to prove to people who are basically calling you a liar.
O.K. I've wasted enough time.
Later.

luckiestdad

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
PEI
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hauls Muddy! I'll not be posting my meager finds anytime soon lol HH!

:icon_thumright:

LuckiestDad

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A bit of an old thread but i can add to it now. I'm using an Excal 2 and can say that it will null out quit a few of the Canadian Coins. A fresh drop with 0 rust will sound like a "should dig".
A toonie seems to hit solid all the time.......where I have tested some loonies and it will not pick it up.....crazy. Most quarters sound baaaaad.

The cool thing is I have found two 50% silver Canadian quarters. 1968 is 50% and lower is almost pure silver. $300 from about mid summer to now but spend very little time shooting change.......most of it with the SandShark or the AT Pro. VERY easy to have $40 in a few ours at some places. Under a swing set while I was getting to know the ATPro I hit over $20 in about 30 minutes. Very little if any competition where I'm at though.

Anyone else have new info?

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an old thread, but I'm going to add to it anyway.

You want to find Canadian coins, you should think Tesoro. The Deleon is awesome on all our clad. I find the depth to be similar to the Vaquero, which is another machine that is great on our clad. The Cortes was great too. I pulled over 1000 coins out of a school yard with my Cortes back in 2008. Prior to that, I had a Tejon in 2007 and did the same at another school. Even the lowly Compadre will sound off nicely on all our coins.

Dan

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a kick out of some of these old threads with Dave/muddy in them. I have known about Dave, and phoned him etc. off and on a few times since I started this obsession. And I have been around for a few years now. I could care less if anyone believes me or not either. I have found Dave over the years to be an example of honesty and humility that I try to emulate. No one is perfect, we all have a few faults, or off days. But I have come to see over time that Dave has real integrity in much of his personal life philosophy. He is also, with no exaggeration, probably the most productive detectorist in Canada, and I don't say this lightly. Most of you here haven't the slightest clue about how long he has been in this game, and what he has found. The full story is head spinning. But that his his business to discuss, or not.

Whitey9457

Jun 30, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a canadian $1 coin from the 80s the other day in the middle of nowhere in a field in oregon. didn't find a single other thing the entire time. the next location i went to, the only thing i found was a 50c mexican coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread