Non-repeating signals?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If it's there, it will repeat! There is a possibility that there is a problem in the coil winding. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Sometimes it is. Sometimes it's big iron. Sometimes i get those signals on really bad rusty nails with ACE 350. I dig them if I get a good signal mixed in. I have dug good stuff from non repeatable signals. I go slow and try to listen for that one good tone mixed in n then try to tighten my sweep enough to isolate it and get it to repeat.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I use a 13 year old Whites XLT. It is a fast scanning unit. I normally hunt in coin and jewelry mode. In that mode the detector will show iron on the display, but usually won't beep. Every once in a while I will get a a blip sound on iron that is large. This might or might not repeat on scanning, but will show up in pinpoint mode. I am beginning to think some of the older top of the line units exceed some of the newer units. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you've got the time at a site I like to dig those non repeatables. Like bighoss, I listen for a good signal mixed in with the iron or whatever signal, if it's there, I dig. I have recently found my oldest coin to date, an 1805 Draped Bust Cent, by digging one of those signals. It was in the hole with a square nail and another small piece of iron. I also found a nice 1835 hard times token in with several nails. I have found several other keepers that were iffy signals. You're going to dig a lot of just junk also by digging these signals, but to me it's worth it if every now and then you pull out a nice old coin. Again, you need a little more time to be able to hunt this way, and every hunt may not be conducive to this, but when you can, dig 'em. Good luck.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you've got the time at a site I like to dig those non repeatables. Like bighoss, I listen for a good signal mixed in with the iron or whatever signal, if it's there, I dig. I have recently found my oldest coin to date, an 1805 Draped Bust Cent, by digging one of those signals. It was in the hole with a square nail and another small piece of iron. I also found a nice 1835 hard times token in with several nails. I have found several other keepers that were iffy signals. You're going to dig a lot of just junk also by digging these signals, but to me it's worth it if every now and then you pull out a nice old coin. Again, you need a little more time to be able to hunt this way, and every hunt may not be conducive to this, but when you can, dig 'em. Good luck.

I like that philosophy!

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Well said. If you think you might not get to a a site but one time skip them, if you have unlimited access n plenty of time, dig em.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no doubt in my mind that some of these situations turn out to be a good target mixed with iron and or trash targets. The proof is in the dig and I have dug good targets Silver Coins and clad in the same hole or in the close proximity of iron signals and other signals. a war nickel, two mercs, several rosies and my oldest coin to date 1875 seated dime. Every one of these targets produced good tone and good VDI in one direction and absolutely nothing in the other but iron and low VDI#. The seated was the only exception. It was the deepest and did not have any trash register with it. I can't be sure but I believe it was vertical in the ground as it came out with a third attempt to dig the signal and was found in the spoils. The others only repeated only in one direction but did it every time in that direction only. Not trying to convince any one I'm right but I will always digs these situations. Don't get me wrong I have been skunked but who hasn't.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say it depends on your definition of "repeatable". If you get a tone over and over, in the same spot but its jumping around on the ID, I would say dig it- especially in all metal mode. No telling what you'll find?

Your MD will do its best to help you guess, an educated guess, at what's under there but you never really know till you dig. Now if you get the feeling it's trash like I do at times, you just gotta go with your best judgement or gut feeling etc.

Now if I'm running the ol Five in scrim mode, and the signal comes and goes, get a hit every 3rd swing and that kind of thing, I usually won't dig it. Sometimes I'll switch back to AM or notch back in iron when that happens just to make sure- but it all depends on what it tells me?!?! If you raise your swing and it leaves in AM - man I never dig those.

I've had some weird hits- I remember like a week after I got my MD- I was still in "dig everything" phase. I had a BB give me a pretty good wild goose chase. I had no pinpointer at the time. I must have looked in the whole, then the plug, then the whole ,then the plug for a good 30-45 minutes for that stupid thing- being me (stubborn) I was determined that I WAS FINDING, whatever was in there.....

I'm not really new to this anymore and I feel really comfortable with my F5 so needless to say I've learned a lot and don't have that attitude any more! Lol

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I would say it depends on your definition of "repeatable". If you get a tone over and over, in the same spot but its jumping around on the ID, I would say dig it- especially in all metal mode. No telling what you'll find?

Your MD will do its best to help you guess, an educated guess, at what's under there but you never really know till you dig. Now if you get the feeling it's trash like I do at times, you just gotta go with your best judgement or gut feeling etc.

Now if I'm running the ol Five in scrim mode, and the signal comes and goes, get a hit every 3rd swing and that kind of thing, I usually won't dig it. Sometimes I'll switch back to AM or notch back in iron when that happens just to make sure- but it all depends on what it tells me?!?! If you raise your swing and it leaves in AM - man I never dig those.

I've had some weird hits- I remember like a week after I got my MD- I was still in "dig everything" phase. I had a BB give me a pretty good wild goose chase. I had no pinpointer at the time. I must have looked in the whole, then the plug, then the whole ,then the plug for a good 30-45 minutes for that stupid thing- being me (stubborn) I was determined that I WAS FINDING, whatever was in there.....

I'm not really new to this anymore and I feel really comfortable with my F5 so needless to say I've learned a lot and don't have that attitude any more! Lol

BB's are copper plated steel. I usually carry a magnet to solve the small steel junk problem. Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Power lines over head or other interference? Try changing freq.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found coins on edge at 6 plus inches will give a good signal, then a not nearly as good signal from the opposite direction, and more often than not it is a very small target, such as a mercury dime.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Like every one said sometimes it could be a good hit... And sometimes it could be only junk........ I know that is no help but that is you answers you got.... It is the only answers you could get.....

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the deep signals I have been digging in my town...6inch at least don't always repeat/scream out. I usually only can get a good signal every few swings over it, if its small I have been digging them, I have dug 20 some wheats 2 mercs, and a quarter(silver) all in the last two three trips out. My half dime from the 1800's didn't repeat consistently either but dug it. If I get a good sound that is deep and it shows that its small during pi pointing it I dig it now.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the deep signals I have been digging in my town...6inch at least don't always repeat/scream out. I usually only can get a good signal every few swings over it, if its small I have been digging them, I have dug 20 some wheats 2 mercs, and a quarter(silver) all in the last two three trips out. My half dime from the 1800's didn't repeat consistently either but dug it. If I get a good sound that is deep and it shows that its small during pi pointing it I dig it now.
If a target pinpoints large, it could be several coins spread out a little.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there is any question in ur mind about a hit u get dig it doesnt take long could b junk or good u really dont have anything to lose but a minute or 2 good luck

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there is any question in ur mind about a hit u get dig it doesnt take long could b junk or good u really dont have anything to lose but a minute or 2 good luck
When in doubt, dig it out.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread