Easy Waterproof your detector

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, Went to a local park swimming hole today with my Lobo. I've been wanting to get into the deeper water to hunt but was afraid of getting my box wet. Last year, I hung it around my neck but had some close calls almost falling in the water. My wife picked up a floating cooler at Goodwill a while back so I took my box off, put it in the cooler, zipped it shut and went out in the chest deep water. I was running in all metal a digging everything. I got 13 bobby pins, 2 barretts, 1 paper clip, 3 pennies, 3 dimes, 2 nickles, 1 quarter, and a 14 kt gold wedding ring that weighs 3.2 grams. Box stayed nice and dry. I stayed cool and wet. steve

Attachments

• IMG_6693.JPG
    IMG_6693.JPG
    458.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_6694.JPG
    IMG_6694.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waa ur cord long enough or did u have to extend it?.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 10 x 12 deepseeker coil with the long cord but I think my other coil with the short cord would have worked. It floated 2 to 3 feet behind me. steve

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice idea with the cooler & nice haul bet u were happy when u saw that ring in ur scoop

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find this funny as all get out! Not because I think it's a stupid idea or anything, but because I've been thinking if trying something similar!

Did you have trouble hearing the hits? Or did you use headphones?

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was there this morning the kiddy area was packed but the adult area only had a few people. I went back after 4pm and most of the people had left the kiddy area so I went in. I got one more bobby pin, pop top, brass screw, barrett , 11 pennies, 4 dimes, a quarter and another ring. It is a junk ring and came up on top of a penny in the scoop. The life guards had to actually come out to tell me it was closing time.

Attachments

• IMG_6695.JPG
    IMG_6695.JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_6696.JPG
    IMG_6696.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 109

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ur on a good role there

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good idea!

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had headphones. I had some Auvio wireless headphones but apparently I didn't charge them up enough beforehand. With the box in the cooler, I zipped the top shut with just enough room for the coil wire and headphone wire. The top of the cooler was over a foot above the water. It worked great and sure was easier on my mind than having it hang around my neck.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had headphones. I had some Auvio wireless headphones but apparently I didn't charge them up enough beforehand. With the box in the cooler, I zipped the top shut with just enough room for the coil wire and headphone wire. The top of the cooler was over a foot above the water. It worked great and sure was easier on my mind than having it hang around my neck.

I may try something similar now that I've seen you do this! Thanks for posting, good stuff right there man!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just get ya an AT pro then ya wont have to worry about getting it wet

The Governor

Greenie
Jul 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Too many to list.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is a great mod for any detector technically. The only limiting factor would be the water proof coil's depth and the length of your cord/headphones. Wonderful idea and this could possibly be used in really deep water if rigged correctly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread