How deep for old coins/relics ?

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks, I'm sure that this question has only been asked four our five hundred times (:tongue3:) so....I thought that I'd ask it
again (Sorry).

Here's the deal...My favorite site (For hunting) right now is an old park that's BEEN a park for almost 130yrs (The old Gal that sold it
to the city I live in these days sold it to them in the mid' 1880's). One of the conditions that She set down (As a condition of the sale)
was that the park be available to the local Christian churches to use for their various summertime/fair-weather functions.

I've researched the park at the county historical society (I'm working with a great old Girl who literally wrote the book on the park) and
there's been any number of revivals/picnics/gatherings....what have you, over the last century and a quarter.

I'm really new to this hobby and have been limited (So far) to an ACE 150 I bought to see if I'd be interested (I AM!). The '150 has been
a lot of fun for me the last 6 months or so but...I've "generally" been digging clad at 4 inches or less with it (Forget what the depth meter
says lol). I'm waiting for My ATP to show up (I expect it any minute according to UPS tracking) and "Hope" that I might get a couple of
more inches with it AND....(Fingers crossed)....find some silver (?)

Anyway, anyone else have any experience with hunting an "old" (At least for the West Coast) area with a "Starter" detector and then
hitting it with one that gets a little deeper?

Thanks for any replies in advance 8-)

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not on that side im East coast but ur gonna think when u start using the atpro coming from the 150 itll b like ur first time there,getting finds all over the place guaranteed hh

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Head
I`v been doing this a year or two i find that some clad is 7"-8" and some silver ...and some silver a 4" and some clad.
I have found Large Cents at 12" and 2"...Seated Quarter at 10" and Silver Washington found them both at 4" too and so on.
Just learn the Detector you got and have fun HH
Gary

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything at least with your 150 you cleaned out some of the trash, wish you luck with your new ATP.

OP
OP
treadhead

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not on that side im East coast but ur gonna think when u start using the atpro coming from the 150 itll b like ur first time there,getting finds all over the place guaranteed hh

Yeah..(lol)...

Going from an ACE 150 to an ATP has been "interesting" to say the least! lol

Thanks for the input from you other folks too in this thread.

I feel like I've gone from a tricycle to a space shuttle...lol STD mode/PRO mode "Lions and tigers and bears...lol"

I'm really happy with My new (ATP) purchase (70-80% of the time I'm going to be in the water with it) and I'm watching
a metric ton of videos about it. So far, the biggest challenge has been learning to pin-point that big coil. I'm starting to
understand why everyone seems to have such a chubby over those smaller coils...lol

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah..(lol)...

Going from an ACE 150 to an ATP has been "interesting" to say the least! lol

Thanks for the input from you other folks too in this thread.

I feel like I've gone from a tricycle to a space shuttle...lol STD mode/PRO mode "Lions and tigers and bears...lol"

I'm really happy with My new (ATP) purchase (70-80% of the time I'm going to be in the water with it) and I'm watching
a metric ton of videos about it. So far, the biggest challenge has been learning to pin-point that big coil. I'm starting to
understand why everyone seems to have such a chubby over those smaller coils...lol

Hahaha ull get there buddy sounds like ur off to a good start

OP
OP
treadhead

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head
I`v been doing this a year or two i find that some clad is 7"-8" and some silver ...and some silver a 4" and some clad.
I have found Large Cents at 12" and 2"...Seated Quarter at 10" and Silver Washington found them both at 4" too and so on.
Just learn the Detector you got and have fun HH
Gary

Thanks for your insight man.

It blows me away that I'm digging clad (Here in Oregon) at 6-8 inches and I watch YT vids where guys and gals are pulling Mercury dimes
at 2-4 inches (*******s! lol!). Eh...'guess I just need to keep digging.

I KNOW that that horde of Double Eagles is just sittin' there waitin' for me to find but JEEZ (Napoleon Dynamite),.....

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Treadhead,

I am up in Washington. You should be excited to be able to spend some time clearing away the 'top layer'. I am sure that you will find some good stuff.
I would expect that you will find the older coins when you hit it with the new machine, but I have always had the best luck when the soil has some moisture.
This fall will be a great time to nail it.
If I get down to Portland/Salem I would like some suggestions on which parks might be best for an out-of-towner.

What do you hunt up North of Salem?

Beerguy

OP
OP
treadhead

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BG, I'm thinking the same thing (About wetter soil this fall) as you are.

I'm pretty much West of Salem (In Dallas...NOT..."The Dalles"..lol) and I'm hunting a great old park that's BEEN a park since June of 1884. I KNOW that
this place must have some decent finds in it but so far, all I'm digging is clad. I'm very inexperienced though and I'm more than sure that THAT has about
99% to do with My failure to dig the cool stuff. I HAVE dug some really neat old relics there though.

Anytime you want to hit the old Dallas City Park (130yrs old) let me know. I'd be glad to buy you lunch in exchange for some brain-picking :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread