Need suggestion for getting through gravel

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a great day today getting lots of coins, especially quarters. Many of them were ones I found under paths and walkways covered with small rocks on the top and then dirt and gravel/small cement pieces below. The point of my hand trowel but blunted and pushed back when trying to dig through there. I finally reported to metal weed remover but there has to be something better to pick through that stuff. I am looking for something small that can be held in one hand when squatting or sitting down. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche Sampson or mini Sampson should work for tough ground.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch88, do you think that the mini Sampson would work well for clay also? I live in Oklahoma City and its common to get clay soil and sometimes mixed with gravel. When its dry it's like digging concrete. I have been debating a mini sampson or a pirahnna.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the Sampson T handle. It doesn't cut through gravel like butter, but its much better than a hand digger!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered carrying a brick hammer? You can use it as a mini pick axe and loosen up the gravel etc then scoop it out. I mean it has to work considering its how miners do it, break it up first then shovel out the loose stuff. Brick hammer costs just a few bucks at home depot. So many ppl walk away from gravel areas even though their detector is telling them what's there is good, I use a small pick axe and takes little effort for the reward.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what you're describing I'd want the 31" Sampson T-handle. It's a tough little shovel with a V tip blade. As mentioned above a small pix ax may work well to loosen gravel up, but be careful with both tools not to damage your target you're retrieving. Good Luck and HH !!!

Last edited:

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I frequently hunt boat launches (hard graveled ones) and I have found a welders chipping hammer to be quite useful. It's one of those from Lowes, with a handle that looks like a spring, with a chisel on one end of the head and a point on the opposite end.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18" samson lesche, reasons if u wanted to u could still step on the blade to get it through tough ground, then when ur on the ground u can use it with ease not to big u have to stand back up to use, shovel size just as big as the 36" & 40" etc, lots more balde with to get the holes dug rather then ur normal hand lesche. All around great tool

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flat-head screwdriver. I use one all the time for every type of ground condition.
Works great on gravel as you can get between the rocks and pry up clumps of soil.
The more you use it, the nicer the edge grounds down to a soft point.
Judging by all the massive, sloppy plugs I see everywhere nowadays, more people should carry some sort of probe and use it.
Cheers,
Dave.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger2 that's a great idea, i have one of those and I always like to repurpose a tool especially ones that I've bought, rarely use and want my moneys worth out of it. I'll be adding that in and benching my more expensive brick hammer.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the great replies.