24yr Interested in buying first metal detector...

Purple_Reef

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to get my first metal detector but don't know where to start as far as what company to go with. My budget would be under 500$ or somewhere in that range...

I'm looking for a good reliable metal detector that will also let me use it on the shore occasionally. But for the most part, I'd be searching woods, parks and schools.

Please chime in if you can give me any advice. Thank you!

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get an AT Pro from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. Tell him your a TNet member and he will give you a great price with free shipping. They are a great machine for the price.

OP
OP
P

Purple_Reef

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an AT Pro from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. Tell him your a TNet member and he will give you a great price with free shipping. They are a great machine for the price.

Do you think a MXT Eclipse 950 would be a better choice? I found a great used price.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may need more than one detector if your going to hunt the water and dry land. There is several brands out there and can be a little confusing. I started with a very inexpensive Bounty Hunter but moved on to my F75. I have also been impressed with the T2 as my hunting buddies prefer those. I have seen the whites in action and they can hunt too. Unfortunately this forum should be the AT PRO forum as you will hear many grand claims about the AT PRO. Dont settle is what I am saying. I think you will be settling if you buy the AT PRO.

OP
OP
P

Purple_Reef

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may need more than one detector if your going to hunt the water and dry land. There is several brands out there and can be a little confusing. I started with a very inexpensive Bounty Hunter but moved on to my F75. I have also been impressed with the T2 as my hunting buddies prefer those. I have seen the whites in action and they can hunt too. Unfortunately this forum should be the AT PRO forum as you will hear many grand claims about the AT PRO. Dont settle is what I am saying. I think you will be settling if you buy the AT PRO.

Fisher F70 Metal Detector | eBay

If I could get this under 500, do you think this would be a good deal? Are these able to go into the water?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Purple_Reef said:
Do you think a MXT Eclipse 950 would be a better choice? I found a great used price.

I've never used a MXT so I can't help you there. I use a White's V3i and an AT Pro and like them both very much. Your going to get a different answer from everyone on here because the detector they own is the best to them, that's why the bought it. :). There are a ton of great detectors out there. Buy the most you can afford and learn it the best you can. There are many factors depending on how and where you hunt that decide what detector you will find the best for you. Good luck!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there is other waterproof detectors out there, the answer is NO. You can also take a underwater basket weaving course with your detector, that sounds great, you have bought the hype. When you cant duplicate the results posted by others on here, remember some guy took the time to tell you not to settle. I dont know why I try. Here is my last hunt, this is what I do in about a hour with my non AT PRO detector lol. SUNP0025.JPG But Im sure you dont want results like this.

OP
OP
P

Purple_Reef

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there is other waterproof detectors out there, the answer is NO. You can also take a underwater basket weaving course with your detector, that sounds great, you have bought the hype. When you cant duplicate the results posted by others on here, remember some guy took the time to tell you not to settle. I dont know why I try. Here is my last hunt, this is what I do in about a hour with my non AT PRO detector lol. View attachment 843465 But Im sure you dont want results like this.

What type of metal detector do you use lol?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a Safari(to me, great for saltwater wet sand machine, or if your going to hunt underwater(a lots) or in surf get a Sandshark or Excalibur in addition to a land machine) would be ideal for you, save up your dollars and get something worth while man(AT pro even would be better than some alternatives probably), something you won't want to get rid of later, 500$ just isn't enough! Think about it, time is the one thing you can't get back, after all why waste your time detecting with something inferior?

OP
OP
P

Purple_Reef

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a Safari(to me, great for saltwater wet sand machine, or if your going to hunt underwater(a lots) or in surf get a Sandshark or Excalibur in addition to a land machine) would be ideal for you, save up your dollars and get something worth while man(AT pro even would be better than some alternatives probably), something you won't want to get rid of later, 500$ just isn't enough! Think about it, time is the one thing you can't get back, after all why waste your time detecting with something inferior?

I hear you on that. So can you recommend me a metal detector worth buying that will be use mostly on clay soil that I could start saving for?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take the MXT over the AT Pro unless you plan on going into the water. As mentioned, there are a ton of choices. The deciding factors will be the area/ground conditions where you are, the type of targets you want to find, your preference on bells and whistles, etc. A good electronic pin pointers should be on your shopping list too. You might want to take a look at some of the youtube videos on recovery techniques and detector demonstrations and reviews. It can make it much easier to use after you see one in action. Join with a local detector club to see what works good in your area and to get some first hand help.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Safari is great in most clay soils. I don't know what your soil type is there for sure, but if you have the red type clays the only thing that will get consistent depth is a PI detector.

OP
OP
P

Purple_Reef

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safari is great in most clay soils. I don't know what your soil type is there for sure, but if you have the red type clays the only thing that will get consistent depth is a PI detector.

Thanks for the advice...I'm located in Greensboro, NC and its mostly clay here. I'll have to look into that detector you mentioned. Thanks again

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet!

The Garrett AT Pro is the iPhone of MDs. It's a great machine. If I were you, I would probably buy one of the lower cost MDs that has ground balancing.

There are several out there in the $400 range and you would still have money for a pinpointer and some digging tools and any other accessories you might want. Check out Kellyco online for great info on all the latest gear.

Good luck!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
If you found an MXT in your price range, I would think that it would be a great choice.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Purple Reef. I would go with the Garrett A T Pro and suggest Bart at Big Boys Toys to purchase from.

I ordered a new Minelab in May and live in Charlotte,N.C. When you said clay I thought you might be in North Carolina.

Good Luck-goldnugget-

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with what was said earlier that you will get tons of answers.

I have a number of detectors, but I have never hunted the shore, so I wouldn't want to pass on my opinion. My advice would be to talk with someone who sells detectors and can give you a good idea in your price range. Also, look at the facts and not opinions. I have purchased from a number of people. The last two detectors I have purchased from Bart with BigBoysHobbies. He will give you good advice and work with you on price and not try and up-sale you something that you don't need.

OP
OP
P

Purple_Reef

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went ahead and purchased the Garrett AT Pro from Bart with BigBoyHobbies and I can't wait to get it. I've got so many place in mind that I want to start hunting. I'll update on any finds I get with the Garret AT Pro

BTW....Bart gave me a great price that I could not find anyone on the internet. I thought about buying a used one off ebay but they end up selling for in the mid 400$...I thought I'd spend a little extra and get a brand new one that I know works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread