Fe2+ MD

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a metal detector with fixed ground balancing and it performed badly. But I tried it in a different city and was amazed by how well it worked and what a good detector it was in that soil. So if a metal detector has half good reviews and half bad reviews get it. And if It has almost all good reviews get it. This is because some detectors only work best in soil that only some areas have. Although this mostly just applies to fixed ground balancing detectors.

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both types and it's true that fixed GB machines can do very well in mild soil. However, because all soil is NOT mild, I always recommend that the person that is going have only one detector purchase one with manual or true auto ground balance.
luvsdux

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I would find it hard to go back to a detector that wasn't manually GB.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. One of the biggest nightmares that will directly affect your finds. I've seen people give up the hobby quickly with all the chatter and loss of depth.

OP
OP
F

Fe2+ MD

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's amazing what a difference the area can make. Eventually when I have the money I want to upgrade to the AT pro.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why I like the digger wars lol. They use so many different detectors.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why I like the digger wars lol. They use so many different detectors.
You mean you don't like watching a show with everything short of having a banner with GARRETT written across it in the background?

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. One of the biggest nightmares that will directly affect your finds. I've seen people give up the hobby quickly with all the chatter and loss of depth.

Yup I use a cheap one I picked up at a garage sale and the lose of dept is killing me. I get 3 to 5 at most and had a 10 on a big copper piece. But my point it sucks and is discouraging. Because I know I'm walking over stuff deeper or needs a better range to find it. So I'm pretty much wasting time while advertising hey there's problay something here! But I still like getting clad it puts gas In the car and when I'm in a pinch I can use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread