Need HELP finding gold items with the AT Pro!

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really need some advice on finding gold items such as rings, with the AT Pro. It's one of the reasons I updated from a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, but so far no success. I'm aware of the advice that you have to dig the pull tab signals if you want to find gold but the problems I have found so far are as follows:

1. Every time I dig a pull tab signal (59/60) it's ALWAYS a pull tab.

2. AT Pro instructional video says that gold should ring higher than a pull tab so when I limit myself to just digging items in the 65 to low 70 range, I always get stuck with a bottlecap (iron audio is not fullproof with those) or a piece of aluminum.

3. I took of my 10K wedding band and scanned it and it came up in the mid 40 range and when I try to limit my digs to that range, I get stuck with foil.

4. With my ring coming up at 45 (I assume b/c it is 10K and has a bunch of other metal in it), now I am confused totally as to what strategy I should use in helping me decide how to maximize my chances that the target I am digging will actually be gold. With coins, it's easy. But there has to be a better strategy with the AT Pro then just did every pull tab signal. Any help or links to help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

michigan eagleye

Aug 12, 2013
Hey* I have a bounty hunter 101 and I will keep it on tone with sensitivity turned almost all the way up and discrimination all the way down , when I hit a signal I will turn up the discrimination ,, if the signal goes away then it's a good chance it's possibly gold , if it stays and turns to lower tone its foil, if the signal stays and it's a high signal it's most the time a coin or token:) idk if that helps ya any but I thought I'd throw that out there ~

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all the machines with many buttons and many options to me is a big mistake, if someone buried an iron pot full of gold coins and jewelry? your detector will discriminate because is iron pot... and everything'll be missed, best dig all signals. no ..to AT PRO
More options is a mistake?? Am I missing something here? You don't HAVE to use a discrimination pattern with the high end machines. It's just an option, and a useful one under certain conditions. My E-trac will find an iron pot of gold coins just fine, thank you! Do you know where one is?? :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More options is a mistake?? Am I missing something here? You don't HAVE to use a discrimination pattern with the high end machines. It's just an option, and a useful one under certain conditions. My E-trac will find an iron pot of gold coins just fine, thank you! Do you know where one is?? :laughing7:

Ill help you look Cudamark! I kind of was a beep and dig guy until I tried a ML. And it was a slow recovering Sov GT at that. I really got to a point where rolling the disc knob to check every target on the Vaq I was using was driving me insane in trash laden areas. Iron haloed junk could fool you many times. I think the Savoy will howl on a pot o gold !

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of gold rings read in the mid 40s to mid 60s. Size of the band, Karat weight and size of the ring all affect the ID number. If you aren't digging all signals from 36-70, you are leaving some potential gold behind.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread