Asking permission to detect on someones property

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone! Let me start by saying what a great forum this is. It's so nice to have this resource for the hobby. I really like the fact that I can install the app for it on my iPone and iPad. Makes the time waiting for an appointment go by fast when I can kick back in the waiting room and read the posts and even watch videos about detecting.

The main reason for my post is that I'm finally trying to get more serious with my detector I purchased several years back. All I've really hit so far is beaches on a few occasions, but would like to try some properties with older homes or where one stood years ago and similar places.

When asking for permission to search on someones property, is there a certain arrangement most hunters make with the owner? Such as a certain percentage of what you find, or some kind of "cut" for the land owner? I'm thinking that I would get shut down most of the time unless I was to give the land owner some kind of incentive for allowing me to search on their property.

I'm just wondering if there's soft of a standard rule of thumb or guidelines that most hunters go by, or if it's typically just hoping they will say yes without any kind of compensation?

Also, what are some GPS coordinates of good locations to hunt? :laughing7: Just kidding of course. If I was dumb enough to seriously ask, I could only imagine the replies I would get. Coordinates for Death Valley, Compton, California, the middle of the ocean or a lake. Or just telling me to go jump in a lake. :happysmiley:

Thanks for any advice you can give this newbie on the first question. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until member's pipe in - their are number of threads talking about this - here are just a few...

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah instead of a repeat record it be best just to search or scroll back a few weeks it'll pop up. Tons of threads about this, last week alone 3 were started.

OP
OP
thadd

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestion of doing a search for the same question being previously asked and posting some links to them. I just plain forget about searching old threads for the same question I have sometimes. I'm usually better about it, but when I haven't been using forums for awhile, it seems to slip my mind more.

The link with the 13 year old had some good ideas. Offering to help find a long lost item seems like it would help a lot. Also, printing up something to hand them, kind of like the Pickers do when they freestyle. I also like the suggestion of showing some of my finds to them.

I appreciate the help.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dnt split what I find, if they have lost a ring and I find it I will return it. All coins I find r mine, I have turned away from a very old house bc the owner wanted my finds.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dnt split what I find, if they have lost a ring and I find it I will return it. All coins I find r mine, I have turned away from a very old house bc the owner wanted my finds.

That's your choice but remember by law anything you find on someone's property is THEIR property to get back. If they wanted to they can press charges for theft since you refused to give the items back. If you don't believe me call your lawyer.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck on the permission first time asking is always the hardest, it gets easier my fiend, u should find all the info u need like another had said scroll back a little or even put in the search bar

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's your choice but remember by law anything you find on someone's property is THEIR property to get back. If they wanted to they can press charges for theft since you refused to give the items back. If you don't believe me call your lawyer.

That's why u carry some clad and wheaties and hand that over.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the approach I take when I ask for permission.

Door knocking & telephone calls are tough, I don't like strangers on the phone or doorstep & I guess you don't either. However, it has worked on a number of occasions. All you need is permission off one farmer or homeowner in the area, once he trusts you it can often snowball, as neighbors all know each other. This could be your downfall if you upset one, you may find it impossible elsewhere. Make it clear that their rules are final, you dance to their tune. Every farmer/homeowner has different land management issues. I make it clear they will see everything you find (if they are interested). Maybe offer 50% of any declarable Treasure. You could offer a split of anything valuable or just give them a 'seconds' collection.

If it’s a hobby for you & you’re not in it for the money then it helps to spell out you are interested in the history of the land, you never sell stuff, & hope to share your knowledge of the finds & area. Take some research of the land (maps etc) & some 'interesting' finds from other land as an example. Spark his interest by suggesting a 'potential' good spot on the land. Like others say, the important thing is to be polite & honest!

Hope this helps!
Dave

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every chance I get, I try and knock on doors. Some days I can only go to maybe one or two houses, but I always try and go. If you think too hard about what to say, then you can be too nervous and talk yourself out of it, or become too nervous when you ask. The trick is to come across as if you have done it a million times before and feel comfortable. I get a quit a few folks that will turn me down, but then I get a few that want to talk my head off as well as let me hunt. People are already a little bit on the defense when you come to their door. I have noticed that the weather (too hot or cold) as well as the neighborhood has a lot to do with the response that you will get. My biggest discouragement is not getting people to come to the door, when I know that they are home.

Here are some suggestions that I have found and tried:

1. I always try and not look to disheveled or dirty when I ask.
2. I keep it to the point but at the same time be friendly.
3. I never offer to split the finds, but if someone mentions it, the furthest I will go is offer to split large finds, or offer them something specific to the property, historical wise for example some jewelry that their family may have lost. Probably the most I would do is a 50/50, but I have not ever had to do a split. If the property owners seems too greedy, then I will walk.
4. I also try and not divulge too much about my finds. Often I have had passerby's ask me what I am finding and I always downplay it, nothing more than to protect the property owner from trespassers.
5. I will leave a business/thank you card for people who allow me to detect, especially if I want to go back later. I will also give them a card if they seem "on the fence" especially if I may be able to hunt on their property later and I really want to search it.
6. I will go out of my way to be friendly to their neighbors as well, such as waving in order to give myself other opportunities later.
7. A "trick" that I have only tried very little is to bring one of my kids along with me. Somewhere I had read that this works, because this may help the homeowner to become less scared because you have a child with you. I have taken my kids before to a few houses and I have always won out, so this may work. I also have had the opportunity to teach homeowner's kids how to hunt.

Last edited:

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
37 degrees 52' 59.28"N - 85degrees 57' 56.17" w

40 degrees 42'31.57" N - 74 degrees 00'31.41"W

That she could you busy through the fall.

Good luck, and post pics!!!

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
37 degrees 52' 59.28"N - 85degrees 57' 56.17" w
40 degrees 42'31.57" N - 74 degrees 00'31.41"W

Good luck, and post pics!!!

I've heard there's plenty of GOLD in both of these places, the trick is getting permission... :)

For those having trouble converting the coordinates:
First Link
Second Link

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread