Pretty sweet homemade Dig tool (long handle)

jjcrago05

Nov 20, 2008
Fort Worth Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made this dig tool today in the shop over my lunch break. I did all the welding this evening when I got home. I have
been wanting to do this for some time and finally forced myself to give it a shot. Its pretty stout from what I can tell
and look forward to finishing it up tomorrow and taking it out Sunday to give it a good test run!! What do you think?!?

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it ! I have carved up several shovels in my life time and you are right they end up buckling in hard soil. It looks like that will get the job done in that Texas soil. I like a shovel I can jump up on and that one has a fine platform for that. Also long enough to use one hand and my knee to flip out a plug.
Great video be sure to post a follow up test dig. Thanks for sharing!
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
jjcrago05

jjcrago05

Nov 20, 2008
Fort Worth Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i will be filming the first test dig this weekend!! I am glad you like it!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking shovel. I make my own as well, I know what I want/need and got tired of having to make do with what others sold especially at the high prices. Been making mine for couple years but I cut teeth in a chainsaw pattern on the sides. Helped remove soil, cut the sod plug or as a chainsaw would cut through roots like butter. Looking forward to seeing how yours makes out.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, but I think a park ranger would have a heart attack around here if he saw anyone using one!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greatness!..That thing is a beast....So how do i put my order in for one :occasion14:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Stick a pink ribbon on it and give it to the wife/girlfriend. "Made it especially for you darlin, now start diggin. Ain't every woman in Texas has a custom made treasure device as nice as this one"...

OP
OP
jjcrago05

jjcrago05

Nov 20, 2008
Fort Worth Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stick a pink ribbon on it and give it to the wife/girlfriend. "Made it especially for you darlin, now start diggin. Ain't every woman in Texas has a custom made treasure device as nice as this one"...

Haha thanks!! She was impressed herself!!

OP
OP
jjcrago05

jjcrago05

Nov 20, 2008
Fort Worth Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the finished product. I didn't add the teeth yet bc I am going to see how it performs. I may end up losing a little more off the blade height and width wise just depending, but I did want to pretty it up for its test run!!

41B79058-25FD-4E86-9E0D-DD5844B5CA35-17125-00000CE170CFE6CD_zpsb4447e74.jpg

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make mine 3" across the bottom and 5" at the top, allows for a nice cutting angle..a 2" difference seemed to make the best as I made and tested around 8. I'd be glad to share the tooth design that works so well but I just loaded my laptop with windows 8 and can't figure a darn thing out yet, heck im typing this from my cellphone only way I can reply on here. Good luck this weekend testing, if i figure out how ill send a pm of the tooth pattern if you want.

OP
OP
jjcrago05

jjcrago05

Nov 20, 2008
Fort Worth Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I make mine 3" across the bottom and 5" at the top, allows for a nice cutting angle..a 2" difference seemed to make the best as I made and tested around 8. I'd be glad to share the tooth design that works so well but I just loaded my laptop with windows 8 and can't figure a darn thing out yet, heck im typing this from my cellphone only way I can reply on here. Good luck this weekend testing, if i figure out how ill send a pm of the tooth pattern if you want.

That would be excellent!! Windows 8 is super frustrating

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions