Newbie---need advice

hnn

Aug 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went metal detecting for the first time with a White's Quantum II 7.8 coil. I bought this probably nine years ago for my fiancee and it was never used. Seems like a nice unit, but it doesn't meet conditions I see here in Florida.

I believe I need a water proof unit as we are at the beach and I see guys out in the water---beaches are scoured at night by the locals. I also believe I need a unit that goes deep. What are your recommendations on a detector? Also, is there a recommended book on metal detectors/treasure hunting?

Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! For something completely waterproof and able to handle salt water, you want either a Pulse Inductive machine (PI) or a multi-frequency machine like what Minelab puts out. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The PI machines generally go the deepest but they pick up every piece of iron junk as well as the good targets. There is very little in the way of discrimination so if the area is relatively iron free, they work fine. The Minelab Excalibur and CTX3030 have discrimination so you can avoid iron targets easily. In the case of the CTX3030, there is also a target I.D. and a depth gauge too. There may be a slight loss of depth with them over the PI machine but it's not much. There are other machines that will work in the salt water....like the Garrett AT Pro but they have more trouble with mineralized black sand and you have to dial them down to compensate. A loss of depth is the result.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here it is, for the beach. Get a used Whites Surfmaster PI. You just turn the two knobs to the preset marks and enjoy your hunt. It goes down deep. I have pulled boat anchors from over 3'. I have found fine gold chains that others have walked over. I have found a gold ring with an emeral at 10". I have found coins in black metallic sand. There are 3 generations of the surfmaster PI. I have the original and it is 12+ years old and still going strong. Probably will cost around $400. Enjoy, Frank...

gold cross chain.jpg Here is the gold chain.

OP
OP
H

hnn

Aug 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gentlemen for the advice. Much appreciated. Herb

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are only planning to search the dry sand, any detectors will do, even that old White's you have. But with the salt spray it won't last long. If you take that White's onto the wet Saltwater sand or near the water it will false and be almost impossible to use even with lower Sens. What the others said about the Pulse detectors is sadly true. The trouble with little disc is you wear yourself out digging those deep holes for pieces of hair pins. Other detectors that work well in the water and wet sand are the White's Beach Hunter ID or 300. (300 just has a larger coil) The Fisher CZ-21 which is almost as deep as the PI's but has good disc so you won't wear yourself out on Iron. You can learn more at this site. The Golden Olde This stupid laptop refuses to use the Enter Key to drop down a line.

OP
OP
H

hnn

Aug 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman. I went to your site. Lots of info and experience. Said site locked due to illness. Hope that is not serious. Thanks again. Herb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread