Relic Hunting, A Close Encounter.

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Year, about this time, my relic-hunting buddy and I were deep in Mississippi woods, on leased hunting land. Late in the day, we found a flat-topped ridge where it seemed some Wisconsin soldiers had been during the war. I'd just found a state seal coat button when we heard some cane breaking a couple hundred yards away at the end of the ridge, in a thicket.
We kept hearing the noise and, thinking it might be our first black bear sighting, or maybe Bigfoot(we were delirious from the day's heat and actually contemplated how we would greet the missing link), we cautiously hunted our way toward the end of the ridge, our hearts beating harder and harder as we grew close to the noise.
At about fifty feet my buddy's machine hit a tree and the rustling suddenly stopped. Everything stopped. It was silent, and it was getting dark fast. We stood there motionless, barely breathing for at least 5 minutes. Tired, hungry and three miles from the truck, I gave up waiting for whatever it was to move again and started marching straight toward the thicket.
After a few stomps, "BIGFOOT", all 300+ pounds of him, wearing old Army fatigues, white sneakers and totin' a Garrett, suddenly leapt a mighty 6 inches into the air and to the right, from a crouched position, and began bounding down the side of the ridge; snapping cane and saplings, snagging briars, grunting like an ox and dragging his headphones behind until they detached.(I've still gottem'.)
He was falling down every 10 or 12 feet and, when he tried to jump the creek at the bottom of the ridge, he slammed full body into the far bank so hard it knocked the wind out of both ends(we heard it). He got his bearings quickly though, crawled up the bank, leaving his shovel in the creek(got that too) and, gasping for air, lumbered his way hastily into the dark woods, sticking to the bottoms.
He seemed to be heading in the general direction we were, so we casually followed his freshly cut trail and, along the way, picked up his reproduction Confederate canteen with a broken strap. It was empty, but smelled like cherry Cool-Aid. I stopped and said to my buddy under my breath, "Do you know who that big guy was? Smell this. That was the Cool-Aid man." To which he whispered, "Oh Yeaaah". We chuckled and heard what must have been his car door shutting somewhere out there in the darkness. He fired up what sounded like a Caterpillar tractor and then his headlights faded away through the trees.
I hoped he was alright, besides the scratches and bruises. It sure scared us when he lunged out of that cane. I know he probably didn't have permission to be where he was, but we didn't care about that. Thankfully, that particular encounter didn't involve someone shooting at us. Not far from there, someone had, but that's another story. ~dHb

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
laughing.gif

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, if we can just get his side of the story, we might bust a gut laughing!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can hear his side of it now as he tells family and friends..i was out detecting and then I heard something, I crouched down ripping my big boy levis down the middle. I peeked out from my position to see not one but two bigfoot err bigfeet or it could have been two country boys but since my pants were split I was in fear of being raped by either one so I took off. They chased me, it must have been the kool aid that gave away my direction or the fact I crapped myself. Due to my aerodynamic shape,round, I was able to evade them by rolling down the hills till I got to my ford pinto and sped off. I had to sacrifice my original civil war canteen filled with cherry kool aid figuring bigfeets and country boys wouldn't pass up that sweet nectar. I'm lucky to be alive.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I found out later from another relic-hunter friend just who the guy was. I had met him before this. Apparently, he said that the reason he took off was so that I wouldn't recognize him. This person is a seasoned veteran relic hunter and thought that if I knew it was one of his places, I wouldn't leave one square inch un-scanned. He's absolutely right. We had found some relics on that ridge, his "honey hole", but never went back.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a Wisconsin soldier in Mississippi, Camp Shelby in 2006. I totally know what you mean about the heat. Awesome story too, best one I've read so far! Glad everyone made it out safe.

Happy Hunting!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:

Great story telling!
You had me convinced right through the whole story that this encounter was with that fat b*stard Savage!
Thanks for the :laughing9:
Cheers,
Dave.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. That would have been funny if it was savage but when he fell and hit the far bank instead of hearing the fart would have heard boom baby. By the way apparently weve all seen his show and yes I want to strangle the guy if he had a neck but have you seen his wife? Seriously does she get her makeup from home depot paint department? Nothing matches and she must think everyday is Halloween.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread