Cant stand a cheat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't stand a cheat!

Assateague beach in MD has a no detecting policy from memorial day to labor day so today is usually a big rush to that beach. However for some time we have had a bunch of asshats that come from Baltimore and other places,lets say non-locals, who come in and camp spend the night and actually the night before the beach is open to law abiding detectorists go out in the dark and hunt the beach.

We arrived at 9am for the gates to open only to see people already on the beach detecting.no big deal because they opened the gates a few minutes early,however when we hit the beach there were holes every where. A large group scanning the sand came up with nothing but a few clad. 4 months with nobody hunting a well trafficked beach and nothing? Talk about some pissed off people. We knew it was those same asshats again. Seems we have too many posts about shows that incite ppl to become greedy hunters with no morals but here we already have that and been going on before any show on TV.
That's the stuff that makes me angry, people who feel it necessary to cheat, break the law just so they can get it before you do. I'd love to find one of these people and shove his detector where the sun don't shine, the more sand on it the better.
What do the officers say about it...we don't have the man power to patrol the beaches at night and the people know it. Just pathetic.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ok ok jeesh way to go. *golf clap* to Tom ....you do keep me laughing with your quick wit and colorful thoughts but you are a bit off on this one. Early birds may catch worms and gates may be for cars however the laws here are made to be adhered to. That law states that the beach isn't open to anyone until 9am and you have to fill out a permit to be allowed, let me help you... ANYONE...including campers and metal detectorists. This particular beach is closed to detectorists from memorial to after labor day and at the time of 9am the gates are opened to us. There is NO overnight camping because of the assateague ponies who have full access to everywhere and they don't want people interacting with the ponies, safety concerns etc. Yet we still have ppl who do camp further down in a place sectioned off from the beach who sneak in each year at night breaking the law, it has been an ongoing problem for years, the DNR and local police are aware of the problem but have limited man power to patrol the miles of beach. The dunes here are off limits by Federal law for wildlife habitat sanctuary and they even went on there because of a supposed treasure chest. So no lesson learned here, why...because I know the laws for the area I hunt. Oh and just so this sticks in a little, one of the guys drove down to the gates late at night and upon leaving struck one of the assateague ponies which laid on the road till DNR put it out of its misery. Made for a great day for all. So there you have it, a more detailed story with the law provided so the wild theories can stop.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Hahaha......I think you left out some key information in you original post.
If no one is allowed in until nine and camping is not allowed then you are absolutely correct.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I thought my original post was already too long. Besides it brought Tom into the thread who always has the soap box speeches on laws and detecting. Tom cracks me up. However this post was truly meant to talk about those who feel the need to cheat..break laws just to get a trinket.

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do feel for you as the "cheaters" are technically breaking the law which ruins the spirit of the first day of hunting, but wanting the police to enforce it would be like wanting them to ticket an out of towner for parking on Wednesday before noon after the street sweeper has already been by because they beat you out of a better parking spot in front of your house.

I'm sure they feel there are better things to investigate.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people are coming from out of town to break the law, I would think they must be finding something good or they wouldn't risk it. I guess another option is to return next year 2 days before opening day and hunt at night to beat everyone to the punch. If the rangers can't patrol/enforce the law, I guess it doesn't matter when you go and violate it. Must not be much of a problem or they would get more man power. Sounds like the ponies part of it is a different issue altogether since that applies to everyone and not just detectorists. Hitting an animal on the road can happen to anyone at any time so that isn't the issue either. It just seems to me that if the anti detecting law wasn't on the books to begin with, the problem would be solved.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
BZ-badger, so the issue here isn't md'ing, per se. It's an issue of "when does the beach open", as I see it. Right? You say:

"That law states that the beach isn't open to anyone until 9am"

Hmmm, have you see where that's written? If you're just reading the sign on the gate that opens at 9am .... then does that mean no one can walk on the beach prior to that (for a sun-rise walk, or whatever). I mean, like since this is an ocean beach afterall, what's to have stopped someone from walking in from the north or south (as beach boundries change domains and jurisdictions, by simply walking north or south from neighboring beaches).

So are you sure you're not confusing the open hours, with simply "when the lifegaurds arrive" or "when the parking lot opens" etc.... ?

If the rule/law is really written as you say, then the issue is simple next year: stake out the place with binnoculars from a nearby high vantage point, at 4am. You'll certainly see some flashlight action, etc... Then presto, you call the cops because "someone is in a closed park". Problem solved, eh?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until the guys from Baltimore find out who ratted on them and seek revenge....

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All they wanted was an unfair advantage. Try buying 50 rolls of pennies and spreading them out over the beach next year.

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
If it's true that they are from Baltimore, then they are probably Ravens fans and aren't smart enough to work those machines anyway. ZING! !
Just kidding Ravens fans. I'm ready for some football.
I'm with tom, call the cops on them.
They will ask for your name, but they will NOT pass that on to the Ravens fans.

HH

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im a Steelers fan so it would be even better if a purple chicken fan got busted. The law has been in effect for a long time about us not detecting during the "tourist season" and opening day to detect starts the day after labor day at 9am which is the time the beach opens for everyone. My point is that rules are meant to apply to everyone so nobody has an unfair advantage. The other thing is the wildlife around here is protected such as the piping plover bird which nests on this particular beach, its endangered and their eggs blend in with the sand you can hardly see them during the day so I can't imagine being able to at night. The DNR goes nuts if you go near a known nest, they have them blocked off like a crime scene. The other thing is and we all complain about this...we all hate the ppl who make us look bad, those that break laws,those who dig when and where they don't have permission and when they dig holes and leave them..it makes us the ones who take what we do seriously and have respect for the hobby look bad to the public who in turn petition &get crappy laws shoved on us. You have to agree the jerks out there cause us a lot of unnecessary grief because of what they do.

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Looks like we need a thread for metal detecting Steeler fans. Hahaha.......
I love watching the Ravens get their butts kicked!

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do we get that done? A Steelers metal detecting fan club forum, I know that we would have a lot of ppl join. Doesn't matter what kind of machine you swing just No chicken lovers allowed in unless they're willing to repent of their wicked ways.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they are being "slick" -- by law at 12:01 am is now "that" day * and they can " Legally" hunt the beach , that's how they are "playing it". --now if the law stated in print --you can not hunt until the gates are opened at 9 am then yes they are "breaking the law" --they see themselves as "wise guys" going in at the first possible "legal" moment --you see them as "greedy "night hawking out of town pricks" -- often your point of view is on a matter depends upon where you stand at ,(are you gaining or losing) as I have often said.

the later info you posted clearly means they are indeed breaking the law --and need to have their gear taken , fined and arrested.-- there is being "slick" and then there is flat out nowingly breaking the law.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post a link to the law or this is just a case of someone not getting out of bed early enough.

Here is what I found for ass beach:

• What other restrictions apply to the beach?
    Alcohol, glass, pets, fires, and charcoal grills are not allowed on the beach at any time. Metal detectors are only allowed beginning the day after Labor Day through May 30th and only on the ocean side of the primary dune. Metal detecting will not be allowed from May 31st until the day after Labor Day. Any exceptions must obtain written permission from Park Manager. All holes dug may only be as deep as a small child’s knees and must be filled in before visitors’ leave. No tunneling is allowed. All recreational nets should be set-up parallel to the ocean to allow emergency vehicles access to the beach.

Nothing in that says anything about 9 am. Only the "day use" has a 9 am restriction, so lets see what that is shall we:

• What’s in the day-use area?
    The day-use area has a camp store/gift shop, concession stand and a bathhouse with warm showers. Lifeguards are on duty in the beach area from 10 am to 5 pm from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The day-use area is open from 9 am to sunset.

So quitcher bichin and get out of bed earlier.

Last edited:

NBTexan

Aug 28, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / Cobra Beach Magnet
I agree, someone just wanted it more. Early bird gets the worm.

Air Force & Coast Guard Vet, Tesoro Vaquero, Cobra Beach Magnet,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread