Garrett or Minelab??? Help!!!

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Greetings Old Hands:

I need help. I gave away my 25 year old Garrett to the kid next door. I had not really used it in recent years, and prior detecting was restricted to coin shooting. Now, I am in the market for a new detector (long overdue). This year, I have a budget to consider. Here is what I want to do with a new machine:

a. Just have fun coinshooting (including the beach)
b. Relic hunt
c. Cache hunt

Three detectors have caught my eye (and, are in my price range) - the Garrett Master Hunter CX, the Garrett GTP 1350, and, the Minelab X-Terra 50. Actually, the GTP 1350 is a bit over my budget, but I have included it anyway.

Okay... someone kindly gave their opinion to my previous inquiry, but now I have narrowed it down to specific machines. Any new opinions? Thanks.

Starsplitter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Greetings:

I found my previous post... lots of advice. The Minelab seems to be top dog in the opinion corner. If anybody can offer up some advice on the specific models (sale specials at Kellyco), please advise. Thanks again!

Starsplitter

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I would say to get the X-Terra, but can't recommend the K place. Don't you have a dealer near by where you can visit? If not, there are plenty of other dealers that will sell you a new detector. There are those that say they'd never order from the K again. Others dolt on the place.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Normally I would say to get the X-Terra, but can't recommend the K place. Don't you have a dealer near by where you can visit? If not, there are plenty of other dealers that will sell you a new detector. There are those that say they'd never order from the K again. Others dolt on the place.

Pretty much "ditto". Contact Minelab for their X-Terra DVD. I own a Minelab (Musketeer) and am leaning towards the X-70, but it may be a while. I have a soft spot for Garretts because the book by Charles Garrett that I found at a used book sale is what first interested me in detecting. Anything will coin shoot - but trashy sites you'll be glad to have a good mask/accept filter and you want good ground balancing for the beach. I would say Cache follows along with relic (I have zero experience or knowledge of cache hunting) and would be in "all metal" mode(?). I see Garrett offers a add-on "depth multiplier" for cache hunting, which would cause me to give them the nod for that aspect (if you want to spend the extra two bills).

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The Xterra would not be great for cache hunting but with the add on feature to the CX you can adapt it to any type hunting. A bit older technology but still a workhorse in the industry. If that is the very least important then go with the Minelab .ALL dealers have sale specials. WE ALL sell for the lowest allowable price as per the manufacturers. ALL specials are included with the detector from the manufacturer. Beware the dealer(s) who add in the FREE factory stuff and make it look like their own doing. If you need ant more help in your decision please let me know. I;ll be glad to help you out. :)

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

Okay Tony... if I go with X Terra 50, what if I don't need all the extras offered, but would be very happy to have a deep search coil and a bag to carry the machin in? Do dealers have any flexibility? At this point, the one I am considering is selling with a buch of extras (again, with the exception of the bag and a DVD on how to operate it (I think)), is $500.

The closest dealer to me is over an hour away (or more), but he is selling the same detector for $100 more - but, it has an additional, oblong shaped coil (I think it is a deeper coil, but not sure). Frankly, I don't think of them as being close enough to do me much good (as opposed to an internet company).

To be honest, if we just hadn't adopted a child, I'd be looking at a machine (or two machines) at around $1,000 plus... which should be more than enough for me. My concern is being able to pic up coins, rings, etc., but also relic and cache hunt. Yes, I did think about the Garrett in terms of deep search two box setup (in addition to the regular coil).

Guess, I'll just have to figure out what to do.

Starsplitter

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
There sure is flexability when it comes to the extras added in. The price of the detector is pretty static. Give me a call and I'm sure I can help you with what you need.
8)
860-623-1153

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Actually, the only "extras" I am really looking for at this point are a deep seek coil, an instructional DVD, and a bag to carry the machine in. I'm not sure how much that would be - there was a hundred dollar discrepency between Kellyco and Baringer's. Kind of difficult when you haven't looked at new machines for over 20 years.

drygulch

Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II
Had a Garrett cx now I use Minelab
Will never have another Garrett
Just my .02

FrankTM

Sep 4, 2006
Illinois (Dekalb County)
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350
Tough decisions, I went through the same thing last year. I ended up with GTP 1350. I did a lot of research and painfully made a decision. I am for relic hunting and for the most part I have been happy with it. I bought it as a package deal so it was cheaper with lots of extras. I narrowed down the choices by lots of research and field tests articles. Good luck and if you have any particular ?s about the 1350 I can try and help you out.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions