Should I dig a 1950s Era Dump behind Farmhouse?

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I dig a 1950's Era Dump behind Farmhouse?

Hi Guys,

I have used historic aerials overlaid over google maps to identify that a 1950's era farmhouse was once located next door to my current home outside Raleigh, NC. It was not present in the 1938 aerial so it was built sometime after 1938 and before 1959 (when the good aerial I have was taken). Anyway, I can see what looks to be a very small building, possibly a privy, but maybe just a shed, just off the edge of my property (the red lines on the attached image are my property boundaries). It is about 80 feet from the back of the house, so it may be too far to be a privy? Thoughts?

DigOrNotToDig.png

I have found many 1950's & 60's era cans (mostly Schlitz Beer - they must have been big fans of Schlitz!) in the area of what would have been behind the probable shed (noted as "Garbage Area" in the image above.

So my question, is:
Should I clean out this "garbage" area? Am I likely to find anything good with a medal detector? I have used the medal detector back there a little and it goes crazy on the cans constantly. I was thinking of clearing all the cans out and seeing if I can find anything good. I noticed that the ground is really easy to dig back there (like it almost caves in on itself as soon as you put a shovel in) - so I'm guessing this was a garbage pit area. I think that all I will likely find is maybe some pre-64 coins, if I'm really lucky. Any other reasons anyone can think of to do this? I'm not sure if it's worth the effort?

Thanks for your opinions!

- Bill

Upvote 0

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
I'm not an expert voice on this topic, but I would say the answer will depend largely on what your looking for. Think of the kind of things that were tossed, and ask yourself if you want them. I don't know that coins or jewelry are going to be present. If there was a gold ring, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack really.

I bet you could find value in the various metals at the scrap yard though. If your going to dig it, you might as well sort it and turn it in

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a rake & a blower if you can or even a broom,some good gloves and maybe some pliers or something to pick up the broken glass and rusted metal with.You'll have to sift thru the garbage dump by hand,everywhere else you can use your detector,good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread