Looking at upgrading AT Pro or X- terra 705

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you want in a detector, where do you want to hunt, how old is your area? Is your soil heavily mineralized?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer to your question is are you wanting to hunt in the water. If so get the garrett, if not the 705 offers more feature most important for me is a threshold and better selection of coils.

OP
OP
wv hilljack

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly relic,coin and civil war. The only mineralization is pig iron in WV I do go to NC once in a while in the Charlotte area where there is gold.

OP
OP
wv hilljack

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what need to understand like the threshold. I don't have the resources in my area to learn form other MD'ers only you tube and all you guys on here. Can you please explain or is this a trail and error thing that I would have to learn?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At Pro does not have threshold but the A T Gold does. A threshold is a "hum" that the detector makes. You listen for subtle changes in the threshold to uncover deep targets.

Either detector should serve you well. The Xterra 705 Gold Dual coil pack gives you two coils and two different frequencies.

The AT series allows you to hunt in streams and creeks.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check with Bart at BigboysHobbies.net he had great package deals and will recommend what he thinks suits you but won't push anything on you. He probably has the best package deals on the net.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wv, i would go with the used one from your buddy. The at has many fans, but many have also said its onky good in creeks and streams not beaches and salt water. Witht he 705 you can set the tones opened up for many different tones and set the threshold to a low tolerable hum. That comes in handy if you want to use tdk wr700 wireless headphones so they dont shut down from being idle. I got an ..18.75 kHz coil for beach work and am going to get a 6" coiltek 3khz for trashy areas where i have separation problems. I would suggest getting the small coiltek coil before any other coils as your second if you have any trashy areas.

As with any detector you cant get good with it if you dont use it.

OP
OP
wv hilljack

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info as with anything the decission we be a hard one. I do have some really trashy areas that have a lot tin iron and zinc lids that I know have never been hunted.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Both are great detectors. I've owned both and now only own the AT-the main reason? Response time. The one thing I didn't like about the 705 was how it got 'overwhelmed' by iron infested sites. The AT's response time has allowed me to see more individual targets and in several cases, pick a coin from amongst those nails.

I also do a bit of water hunting, so there's obviously no comparison there.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as water, you can get a water proof coil, but i wouldnt use either for water, if you want to do water, i would get a machine just for that.
If you have trouble picking out coins in trashy areas witht he 705 you need to change the coil. The 705 is very versatile, but you need to learn it first.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Agreed-learn any detector. My experience was with the three coils available at the time. I still stand by what I said! The AT's stock 8.5x11 coil combined with faster response time seemed to work better than my favorite Xterra setup with 5x10 DD coil. Now that's here in north Texas with mild soil, other places might be a bit different. I would not feel undergunned with either one unless I was in a super trashy site and trying to pick out the good stuff from amongst the iron. Again, so much depends on what type of hunting you plan to do. As I mentioned previously, I hunt creeks and lakes as well, so the AT takes the 'no contest' win there..

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wv, i would go with the used one from your buddy. The at has many fans, but many have also said its onky good in creeks and streams not beaches and salt water. Witht he 705 you can set the tones opened up for many different tones and set the threshold to a low tolerable hum. That comes in handy if you want to use tdk wr700 wireless headphones so they dont shut down from being idle. I got an ..18.75 kHz coil for beach work and am going to get a 6" coiltek 3khz for trashy areas where i have separation problems. I would suggest getting the small coiltek coil before any other coils as your second if you have any trashy areas.

As with any detector you cant get good with it if you dont use it.

How you liking your TDK WR700 wireless headphones?

Are they working great and holding up well?

I would love to get some more information and feedback on those as I am tossing around getting a pair along with the X-Terra 705 as well.

Also how is the 705 working? Anything maybe I should know etc. before making my purchase?

Thanks so much and I look forward to your reply! :)

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love he headphones. They are holding up great and I use rechargeable batteries with them. I would still say go with the 705 if it is set properly you can block the iron out in more ways than one. Having a machine like the 705 that can be adjusted and changed in so many ways will pay off once you learn it. Waterproof? With the correct coils it is waterproof just like the at up to the box. Unless my detector was built as 100% water proof and designed for diving! i wouldnt take it in the water. The 705 is a different machine if you change coils. You can change from a concentric to dd of the same freq and it is completely different. If i go out to an area and it is trashy, i dont turn the sensativity down, i switch to a different coil.

Gerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread