Greenie
Jul 17, 2013
Thomasville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course the acting is over the top, it is a tv show and no doubt that some finds are re-planted for the purpose of filming. But the shows are entertaining and they are responsible for getting a lot of new and returning people back into detecting.

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
I think both shows cast us all in a more negative light. Can't stand the canned acting but like to see what they find. I have better ideas for. MD show,but have to figure out how to get in touch with one of these channels. Based on what I read, damn near impossible to do that I guess

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think both shows cast us all in a more negative light. Can't stand the canned acting but like to see what they find. I have better ideas for. MD show,but have to figure out how to get in touch with one of these channels. Based on what I read, damn near impossible to do that I guess

U mean u like to see what was planted for them to find.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I go out, I am feeling just like Bill and Howard. Im lookin for something old, maybe historical. Im three times worse a ham than Bill and Howard. I just dont record it. If you aint having fun detecting, your holding your mouth wrong. I once made fun of Bill yelling Hawards name all the time. I actually miss that. I hope he starts again soon.

Last edited:

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched one of their videos on YouTube. I had recently found an old bottle "honey hole" and was happy to see they had a video of themselves pulling blob-tops from a similar pit. However, I was thoroughly disgusted when Bill showed his true colors. He had just pulled a beautiful amber long-neck whiskey bottle, flawless, just like one I found, but when he wiped it and saw no embossing he cried out in anger and through it down; he hit it with his shovel and was determined to smash it. He cared NOTHING about this perfect, over-a-century old bottle because it wasn't worth as much money as one of those old soda blobs. I see him now. There's no real passion, love, or value placed on history there, only dollar signs. Materialistic fraud.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was hoping that they weren't salting...please tell me they aren't. If that is the case I won't watch. Like I quit watching Storage Wars

U watch closely u can see the holes r already dug. I noticed this on digwars. You really think there gonna waste film on these people diggin pull tabs.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thibk the same thing. I remeber the one episode of digwars, the annoying woman had an open hole behind her camera went off her then all of a sudden she waa sayin about a goos signal over a spot that was clearly had dig marks where it waa previously dug.

Let me clarify for you, this is Josh from Dig Wars. I won't get into the personal attacks on Abby but will say this: The way the production company edits the show has a lot to do with what you are talking about. I saw the same thing you did and we both said at the same time "People are going to think this looks funny" but the fact is that what happened happens in movies all the time....you see a glass of milk that is half full, it cuts to the other person, comes back and the glass is suddenly FULL again...this is due to poor editing, not to us planting anything. I can assure you that scene and target was completely authentic....you guys have to remember that these shows are pieced together and are not always in order and so you have little mistakes like this that make it look like a hole was already dug or open and then suddenly closed again.

Last edited:

azprospector

Dec 30, 2013
Southeast AZ
Detector(s) used
MP3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The way the production company edits the show has a lot to do with what you are talking about. I saw the same thing you did and we both said at the same time "People are going to think this looks funny" but the fact is that what happened happens in movies all the time....

This thread is a little old, but thought I would chime in. This is exactly 100 percent true what Sentinel is saying.
Those Television producers are all about the drama. I deal with producers (I do voice over's) and they ALL like the over the top DRAMA. What would a movie trailer be without the drama of the DEEP, DARK, voice. Don Lafontaine was the man that started the whole "In A World" thing. He was the master, and his voice got peoples attention. DRAMA, it sells.
I dealt with a Discovery Film Crew several years ago and they were all like "Add Drama", "Make It Dramatic", so watching Digfellas, I understand this principal.
NO ONE likes boring stuff, so producers have them ramp it up. It just makes good TV.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like Dig Fellas a lot. those guys are a riot and you do learn about historic objects from the show...I haven't seen Dig Wars but I am not into drama filled competition...

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not diggin' all that put on BS on TV diggers,but beats the hell out of watchin' Opra or Dr. Phil !!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no Idea if Dig Fellas will be back but of the Three detecting shows

Diggers

Dig Wars

Dig Fellas

I like "Dig Fellas" the least & "Diggers" the most. I think part of it is because "Diggers" were the first & the others were Stolen ideas.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I love the hobby so I watch Dig Wars and Diggers. Kind of like an NFL addict will watch an arena game when he's desperate for a fix. I like the machines and the beeping sounds. I also get some education regarding relics etc, so it keeps me occupied.

There is an excellent interview with Josh and Abbie Silva of Dig Wars on the American Digger Magazine podcast. Might give you a new appreciation for that one show.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean the constant beeping sounds that never match the target location and just keep constantly repeating in an endless loop the whole time they hunt?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked dig fellas and still follow them elsewhere. I turned off cable when they replaced the shows the likes naked and afraid. Want good programming. Turn off cable for a few months and save some money. It gets their attention.

JWag

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this. Don't even have my detectors yet. (They are due to be delivered today.) I've had an interest in this since I was a kid, though. So what helped push me to do it now? Certainly not TV shows as I have yet to watch a single episode. Most of the ones mentioned here I have never heard of. What got me were vids on youtube, especially Deepdiggerdan. Now, that guy is entertaining - and educational. -james

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread