Why are all detectors not weatherproof?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why are all detectors manufactured not weatherproof especially in this day and age when it would be easy to do so? You would think they would be since they are used outside in different weather conditions and environments. Is it because it would make them much more expensive? But then look at the AT Pro. That unit is not that expensive. The rain covers that can be purchased are a nuisance when you have to change settings on the detector. You would also think that the top of the line detectors would have waterproof housings. Hate getting caught in a sudden heavy rain and then having to walk a long distance back to the car while putting a plastic bag over the housing. It is not just rain, at the beach you have worries about sand getting inside by heavy winds. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wondered the same thing since the very start of my metal detecting days. I was shocked when I purchased my first detector and realized it was NOT waterproof. Quickly, I realized how annoying it was to need a cover for the unit and made plans to upgrade. Did I mention I live in Seattle? LOL I need something waterproof! AT PRO suits my needs for now.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cactusrat, If every manufacturer of metal detectors offered at least one model of a waterproof detector (maybe "rainproof" is a better description) for the "all-terrain" hunter, the cost of making it waterproof would be offset by increased sales which in turn would keep the retail reasonable. just my two cents.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cost.

More bells and whistles, more the cost.

I don't think weatherproofing the control housing "bells and whistles" Bells and whistles would be considered more electronic. Searchcoils are waterproof. So why not the housings? All they have to do is seal it properly to protect it from the elements rather than rain/dust protectors which can be a nuisance. It is an electronic unit that is used for the outdoor elements...That is the point I am making.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
newfiehunter, I don't think it's all that easy or cheap to make a detector waterproof. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a 100% enclosed sphere or cubicle shape hollow device develope "sweat"? Like a greenhouse. If you make something 100% to not breathe, then I think sweat beads/droplets form on the inside, when put in the sun, eh? So the makers of some of those various water-proof ones (usually only the ones intended to submerge) put those little absorbancy packs inside there, for this very purpose of absorbing sweat that accumulates inside. So I don't think water-proofing exacting standards of manufacture is just something that would only cost an extra buck to design/make/assemble. If it were that cheap and easy, then yes, you would think that more would be doing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread